Tropical diving: correct amount of weight versus trim (correct weight distribution)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being overweighted for the sake of trim is the lesser of two evils in my opinion.
I frequently face this, even in my gear. I want a total of 10 lb lead for Cozumel diving, and ideally 6 lb on the upper camband... leaving a desire for 2x 2 lb bricks for the waist. Good luck finding those, so I often dive with 12 lbs total. I just can't bring myself to bring my own 2 lb bricks, though. First world problem to be sure.

I have the same problem: long, heavy legs. Wearing a farmer John bottom, or a single-piece jumpsuit makes a world of difference (to me). And thick booties, too, when I wear my Jet Fins (my only fins).

rx7diver
Try Deep 6 Eddy fins.

Everyone,

Glad it isn't just me. This is the first time in my dive life that I didn't take everything with me on a trip to a tropical destination.

I'm planning on Panama next winter and will likely take more dive gear.

However, looking at writing a follow-up blog post for SDI (pending their acceptance) of this reality. I will ultimately leave it to the reader to decide what is more important: trim or the correct amount of weighting.

I always carry a camband with a DiveRite weight pocket attached and find it useful to help trim out AL80s when diving in Asia.

Having the pocket allows you to pop in any weight you decide to use.

Once ended up with a very heavy steel 100 of some european brand that had me so heavy with my al backplate, no weights, in a shorty that I had a plan to ditch everything if my BC failed as there was no way I could swim it to the surface and stay there at the beginning of a dive. Add a backplate to the tank you were diving you might have been in the same situation!

Once ended up with a very heavy steel 100 of some european brand that had me so heavy with my al backplate, no weights, in a shorty that I had a plan to ditch everything if my BC failed as there was no way I could swim it to the surface and stay there at the beginning of a dive. Add a backplate to the tank you were diving you might have been in the same situation!
Might be worth taking a DSMB and spool even if you are renting. Doesn't take much space.

FWIW, if I'm going on a diving trip I'm taking my gear. I only rent when the diving is just for a day or two on a longer trip.

I have question to the people that think moving/adding a couple of lbs/kg or using different fins has an impact on trim.
When people use large tanks like double 18l/LP120 with nitrox and when you use heavy stages, the weight distribution changes alot during the dive. How do people stay in trim when a couple of pounds in a different position are supposed to make a difference?
People are still able to stay in trim when the heavy tanks go from butt heavy to butt light. A full stage or two don't cause people to roll to the side either.

I think sometimes it's just that a person is not used to a certain configuration. Like when you go from one stick shift car to another. You might kill the engine a few times because the clutch engages differently on different cars and you just need a moment to get used to the new feeling when operating it.

I have question to the people that think moving/adding a couple of lbs/kg or using different fins has an impact on trim.
LOL. I need negative fins for when diving round bottomed steel twinsets in my dry suit. Otherwise I'm quite head heavy.
When people use large tanks like double 18l/LP120 with nitrox and when you use heavy stages, the weight distribution changes alot during the dive. How do people stay in trim when a couple of pounds in a different position are supposed to make a difference?
People are still able to stay in trim when the heavy tanks go from butt heavy to butt light. A full stage or two don't cause people to roll to the side either.

I think sometimes it's just that a person is not used to a certain configuration.
I think you are not familiar with this particular configuration. Try it yourself and see.
Like when you go from one stick shift car to another. You might kill the engine a few times because the clutch engages differently on different cars and you just need a moment to get used to the new feeling when operating it.
Horrible analogy.

I think you are not familiar with this particular configuration. Try it yourself and see.
What configuration?
I used to be a full time instructor in the tropics as well and in the Med for a few years. Used to dives doubles, dove mostly SM for the last 12 years. The configuration I mentioned above, 18l steels (at 250 bar/3600psi) with stages is what I own and use in French caves. I have a BM ccr too, but I'm fairly new to that one. I think I'm pretty familiar with a wide range of configurations.
Horrible analogy.
Can you drive stick and have you used large tanks with stages? Most people need couple of dives to get used to new gear.

I'm just asking. How can 1 or 2 kg makes a difference when the significant weight change with large tanks and stages doesn't really. Logically, how does that make sense too you?
You using unfamiliar gear and having issue due to that makes more sense I think. I think if you had just done a few more dives with the same setup, you probably would have gotten used to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom