Tropical Diving with or without wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JayWong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I am currently living in the philippines and the temperature here is about 23-30 degC.
I have been diving with my 3mm wetsuit and that keeps me pretty warm.
What are your opinions on diving without a wetsuit, but with a hood and an exposure shirt and beach shorts?
Will that keep me warm enough?
I am thinking that since 75% of heat loss is via the head, a hood should suffice.
What are your opinions?

Cheers!

It is not just about keeping warm. I like to have some protection against scrapes and stings. just my opinion.

If I have the opportunity, I'm diving w/o a suit. I was diving w/ just swim trunks in Coz a few weeks ago. The locals and europeans thought I was crazy, but it is so, so warm compared to my local diving holes. I think you will be fine. You should bring a suit in case. You could get chilly if doing multiple dives/ day.

I think that diving with a 3mm would be more comfortable than a hood, and offer more protection like Twisted says
I had a great time in the gulf in my 3/2 fullsuit, gloves at 27c (Was kinda deep 80ft and 5 dives a day)

I did a dive a month ago in Grand Cayman with just a UV shirt/skin and swim trunks without a problem. But I just recently did a three days of multiple dives each day in Punta Cana and I'm glad I decided to wear a 3mm wetsuit.

Your body will get cold sooner if diving multiple dives. Also, I liked the idea of having some protection from scrapes. If you are too warm just unzip and let the water in.

:14:

Thanks for the comments!
I'll definitely try it without the suit once but i'll bring my 3mm along just in case.

Cheers!

I swear by my wetsuit for any dive. I can feel more comfortable throughout the latter part of the dive when your core temperature gets affacted. Others wear their bathing suits/short without an issue during the same dive.
Unfortunately it is on personal preference and tolerance. I just love to stay warm and cozy!!

Why don't you try it and see?

I use a 3mm full suit. Since I am a photographer I go in crazy positions to get my shots so I might get scraped.

Tropical Diving with or without wetsuit?

I vote "without wetsuit" personally!

RJP.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom