Trouble with ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a little essay on this topic that I wrote because people get this confused so often.

Very informative article, TSandM

You've cleared up some misconceptions that I've held for some time.

Thanks!

Did you have these issues while doing pool drills?

If you didn't suffer these issues while doing the pool drills then ask yourself what is it that you did differently while in the ocean.

Also, like others said, equalize while you're on the surface before even submerge, then descend slowly in a vertical position with your head tilted slightly backward so that your neck (and your Eustasian tube) is pointed upward and straight. Most days I can just blow and go, but some days I have to do this.

The key is to be able to descend slowly, and the only way to do that is not to be overweighted with lead. Otherwise, you hit the deflator button and you drop towards the bottom like a rock. Not enough time to do any proper equalization.

Another thing is to make sure that your nose is free of "gunk" for lack of better words. Rinse your face while you're on the surface, make sure that the nose is well soaked and blow all the snorts out.

I've suffered blocks during dives because there were snort build-ups during the dive.

I did have some trouble in the pool as well. Somewhere between 8 to 10 feet I would feel the pressure in my ears. Also I had some trouble after my pool dives with my sinuses.

Thank you to everyone for your advice and information. I leave on Friday for a trip to French Polynesia. I will try some of your suggestions during my dives there. Hopefully, I can find something that works.

I was slightly congested when I did my OW resulting in a burst eardrum. I tended to be always congested to a certain degree.
I then read in a book that chewing gum with xylitol prevents ear infections. Research showed that the xylitol migrates up the eustachean tubes (sorry for spelling) and prevents bacteria form getting a foothold. Since then I chew a few pieces everyday and have had no ear problems since. Give it a try. A very cheap and efficient solution.

My ears often clear slowly. I've found that by pinching my nose, blowing, and thrusting my lower jaw forward works well. Also, when I feel the pressure start I stop descending, and clear before I continue descent. If my ears don't clear I ascend slightly to ease the pressure, clear, then resume descent.

I find that the most trouble I have clearing my ears is usually when I'm wearing a hood. If I lift the side of the hood away from my ears, and let water in, I'm usually able to clear easier. Seems the hood won't let the pressure release from my ear.

I had trouble clearing when i first started diving and now do many deep dives so don't give up hope.

As has been said over and over in this thread clear early and often. But what does that mean? For me it means i start clearing almost the moment i leave the surface and just continually clear until i reach my destination. Do not wait until you feel pressure because by then it's too late and i can almost guarantee if you do clear at that point you will traumatize you ear canal. Which leads to the congested, clogged feeling in the ears upon surfacing and muffled hearing. If you practice you can get better, more efficient at clearing. You can even practice on land while watching t.v. it doesn't take much. The next thing is my MD said i have small eustachian tubes (who knew) and suggested i take a nasal decongestant with and anti-inflammatory before dives. this just helps ensure the passageways are clear and that there is no inflammation to reduce the diameter of the canal and allow for better clearing. YYMV on the second part.

Avoid using ear plug in scuba diving!

The issue with ears is common. Confirm that your not sick with a cold, allergies, congestion etc. If not. Simply take your time descending. EQUALIZE EVERY METER NEVER WAIT FOR DISCOMFORT!!! you don't need to go deep upto 10-15ft. Dive frequently for your system to adjust to diving. after 20 dives or so go to 15-20ft. and so on. if all is ok you can try to 20ft and up to certified depth. Have fun and be calm and relaxed.

I had trouble clearing when i first started diving and now do many deep dives so don't give up hope.

As has been said over and over in this thread clear early and often. But what does that mean? For me it means i start clearing almost the moment i leave the surface and just continually clear until i reach my destination. Do not wait until you feel pressure because by then it's too late and i can almost guarantee if you do clear at that point you will traumatize you ear canal. Which leads to the congested, clogged feeling in the ears upon surfacing and muffled hearing. If you practice you can get better, more efficient at clearing. You can even practice on land while watching t.v. it doesn't take much. The next thing is my MD said i have small eustachian tubes (who knew) and suggested i take a nasal decongestant with and anti-inflammatory before dives. this just helps ensure the passageways are clear and that there is no inflammation to reduce the diameter of the canal and allow for better clearing. YYMV on the second part.

Maybe this can be my case also, I have some troubles equalizing and specially is a feel just a small small combustion (Or what the heck it is called when the sinuses feels a little tight upon breathing), it is almost impossible and I have had this feeling of traumatized ear canals several times.

Also when I equalize, I can almost always (while underwater) hear a screeching sound from/in my right ear, this ear is also much harder to equalize than the left one and it is always this one that gives me trouble.

Any reccomendation of medicines/texhniques/or other things I can do to ease this problem? Can I clear my sinuses before going to the dive trip?

Edit: I live in Shanghai and has several months between each week of diving, so if diving regurlarly would help, it is not applicable for me..

/Martin

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom