Troubleshoot for Canon S95: Camera would not turn on underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isb11

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I've been using a Canon S95 with a Canon housing for all of my diving. I've had my setup for a year now and it has worked perfectly every time, with no leaks and always producing excellent images. This weekend while diving in Dumaguete, Philippines, I took my camera down to about 21m. After taking about 10 shots, my camera would not turn on. I tried pressing all the buttons, and it still would not turn on. However, I could see that there was no flooding and both the camera and my desiccant pack were completely dry. I pressed the "On" button continuously and it would not budge. I waited about 15 minutes, and the camera finally turned on. It worked perfectly for the rest of the dive.

On my second dive, the same thing happened. I was able to take a couple of good shots before the camera just shut off completely and would not turn on. Several times, instead of pressing the "On" button, I pressed other buttons like the Playback button or Menu button. While pressing the other buttons, the display screen would suddenly come to life and the camera finally turned on. I was able to take more shots. After turning the camera off. I tried to turn it on, and again it would not turn on. I resorted to leaving the Camera on the entire time (without turning it off) to avoid missing out on important photo opportunities.

After my dives, and back at the resort, the camera worked perfectly and never had the problem again. I am wondering if anyone has had this issue before? I'm not sure if the problem is something internal with the camera, or perhaps something related to the depth at which I took the camera, or a difference in the temperatures? I find the latter strange, as this has never happened before in any of my previous dives. Appreciate any feedback/assistance.

Thanks.

I would say the housing buttons are misaligning or being affected by pressure. 'Sticky Buttons' generally occur from too much gunk accumulating in the button shaft.

Maybe it's time to take it apart and clean the buttons out and re-lube them. There are a couple of websites out there which walk you through this process for the Canon Housing. Google is your friend.

Is it possible another button was also depressed by the pressure or something else? I know in my ikelite housing it's easy to not re-center the zoom toggle on my G15 (G9 did the same thing) and when that toggle is actuated you can not take a picture or use many of the other buttons.

So if some other button was pressed you might not be able to power it on. Doe that description make sense?

Maybe you hit the display button until you turned the LCD off but the camera was always on

The first time I did that I was so worried that the camera had a major problem!! Felt a bit silly, but very relieved when I figured out what I had done

I had the same issue with s90 and Ikel housing. As I found out, the reason was in the zoom control. If I zoomed in or out, I can't leave the control in the in-most or out-most position. I have to return it to neutral, or the camera becomes unresponsive.

Is it possible another button was also depressed by the pressure or something else? I know in my ikelite housing it's easy to not re-center the zoom toggle on my G15 (G9 did the same thing) and when that toggle is actuated you can not take a picture or use many of the other buttons.

So if some other button was pressed you might not be able to power it on. Doe that description make sense?

Ohh, this sounds about right, as I know that the Playback button was depressed! I've decided to clean out and re-lube all of the buttons. Thanks all for your great feedback and suggestions :)

In my S95 Ike case the controls do not efficiently touch the buttons so what I did was to increase the reach by inserting thin inner tube paddings inside the control button rubber tips

Ohh, this sounds aiout right, as I know that the Playback button was depressed! I've decided to clean out and re-lube all of the buttons. Thanks all for your great feedback and suggestions :)

I've had this problem couple of times with Canon housings, and it occurs when you have a button that has become sticky because of salt or something else accumulating on one of the button o-rings. Then the pressure at depth overcomes the spring tension on the button and causes it to stay in contact with the button on the camera. Short term on a dive you can figure which button is causing it by depressing each in turn and when you feel one has no movement (because it is already depressed), you can try to pry it back out and then don't use that button again. After the dive, a good soak and dry and then a drop of silicone lubricant will take care of it.

I had the same issue with s90 and Ikel housing. As I found out, the reason was in the zoom control. If I zoomed in or out, I can't leave the control in the in-most or out-most position. I have to return it to neutral, or the camera becomes unresponsive.
The same thing happens with my S90 in a non-brand housing, which I believe is almost identical to the Canon housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom