Troubling dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I was reading TSandM's thread (2010 best) and looking back on my best (and worst) diving moments, and one dive particularly stood out and made me think about human nature... Thought I'd share it...

It was a really nice sunny day, calm winds and we were doing a boat dive in the St-Lawrence with maybe 6-8 friends. My buddy and I were drifting along when we saw 2 of our friends carrying something that looked like a white stone maybe a foot wide. When we surfaced after an uneventful dive they showed it to everybody and we realized it was a dog's skull... They found it on the bottom along with the rest of the skeleton, and it had a yellow nylon rope around the neck tied with a dozen bricks or so.

I mean, if you really can't take care of a domestic pet you can take them to a vet, give them to someone else, take them to the SPCA... Even shooting them is more humane than throwing them in 3 degrees water to drown them!

Am I too sensitive or what?

I loathe dogs, and I find this story upsetting :( I don't think you are being too sensitive.

Too sensitive, I think not. That sounds like a horrible way to leave this world. I myself have been dealing with an animal issue since Friday, of the little dog next door. He was the sweetest dog, his name was Eddie. He was a mix of a beagle and Jack Russell. He had a head and bark of a beagle and the body of the Jack Russell, so funny looking. I just found out he was hit by a car and had to be put to sleep. When we would come home from work he would come running over to greet us, all he wanted was attention. I knew this was going to happen, as his owners did not care. I had picked him up along the street a few times and drove him home. I have a dog of my own, but I just think that how Eddie had to die so soon is a shame. It upsets me when I see things that like this that did not have to be and on something that could not speak for themselves. I had thought of going next door a few times to see if I could have Eddie, but that would have been an awkward conversation to have. Eddie had been missing for a couple of weeks, so I can only imagine when he was hit and for how long he had suffered before being put to sleep. It takes some of us to care.

Definetly qualifies as a slightly sad story.

Why weight a dead dog down with a dozen or so bricks? The dog was killed.

How do you know that the dog was alive when it was tossed overboard?
(It's a shame if the dog was, in fact, drowned in this manner.)

Like NetDoc said... I mean, if he was dead before, why bother loading it on a boat, weighting it, go offshore and dump it? Wouldn't it be more simple burying it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom