True story: A Solemn Moment an honored Dead - Or NOT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would hope that the family would understand. However, I am sure the deceased surely did.

Have you ever heard taps on a trombone? Much more somber sound than on a trumpet. I used to play the trombone. It's still in the closet.

GeekDiver:
I hope your joking and made this up cuz there is nothing funny about your story. Had you been playing at my fathers funeral and this occured you woudnt have made it to you car. Having a problem with your horn is one thing and excusable, but getting caught up with giggles would have been insulting to the max to me.

Did you even care about the family? For something as somber as a funeral I think your actions were unprefessional and you should have offered an appology, quitly after the service w/an explaination of what occured. Had you done that it would have been understandable and most likely forgiven. Running off like that shows a lack of respect.
You need to cut Rick some slack. It's great that he is willing to do it at all and perfection is not always an option as the best laid plans often go south - something anyone with any military service at all understands. Rick did his best to adapt to the situation and that is all you can ask.

Personally, I think the pinky solution was brilliant so I think it's a great credit to Rick that he got the job done at all after the horn malfunction.

I also don't think that hanging around to offer an apology or explanation would have been a good idea and would have just offerred a focal point for someone to get angry, pitch a fit, take out their grief on someone, etc and that would have made for a far worse and far more disrepectful scene than an unintentioanl fart on a horn. Your implication that Rick would not have made it back to the car if it had been your fathers funeral illustrates that nicely. And believe me, if that had occurred, your disrepectful and intentional conduct would have been far more memorable and far more damaging to all involved than Rick's unintentional mistake.

Love the story.

Did you ever find the cork?

GeekDiver:
I hope your joking and made this up cuz there is nothing funny about your story. Had you been playing at my fathers funeral and this occured you woudnt have made it to you car. Having a problem with your horn is one thing and excusable, but getting caught up with giggles would have been insulting to the max to me.

Did you even care about the family? For something as somber as a funeral I think your actions were unprefessional and you should have offered an appology, quitly after the service w/an explaination of what occured. Had you done that it would have been understandable and most likely forgiven. Running off like that shows a lack of respect.
Man lighten up. Rick was just revrealing the human side of the situation. If you feel so strongly about it have a tape recording of a bugler at your next funeral and then if it screws up no one will get hurt.
We are all human. (I think)

It's not like he had any control over it, and that he was *trying* to be insensitive. He was obviously appalled at his reaction and did everything in his power to stop himself from an inappropriate outburst.

I think he handled it well. I HATE when that happens to me. I don't play the trumpet, but I have been in that situation twice where it was more than inappropriate to laugh, yet I could hardly restrain myself.

The last time this happened, I was entering someone's information into the computer at the vet's office, a new client had brought his dog in because it needed to be euthanized. He was very distraught, it's always a sad task. I asked him his last name first, and he said
"Weiner. W-E-I-N-E-R".
I thought, I am glad his dog isn't a Dachshund.

"First name"? I asked.

"Frank". I had to hold my nose and turn away, pretending to cough and look through the file cabinets. It was appalling. It was SO not funny. The man was going to lose his best friend, and here I was acting like a 12 year old. But I couldn't help it. I was horrified. I managed a pained look and restrained myself enough to tell him to please take a seat and we'd be right with him. I don't know if I pulled it off without him noticing, but I would like to think so.

Cut Rick some slack! Geesh..he's nice enough to donate his time and energy!
Its not like it was intentional..sometimes those things happen.
My family would have loved it too! We try not to be so somber at funerals?
No disrespect to the deceased.just more of a celebration of life!

DA Aquamaster:
You need to cut Rick some slack. It's great that he is willing to do it at all and perfection is not always an option as the best laid plans often go south - something anyone with any military service at all understands. Rick did his best to adapt to the situation and that is all you can ask.

Personally, I think the pinky solution was brilliant so I think it's a great credit to Rick that he got the job done at all after the horn malfunction.

I also don't think that hanging around to offer an apology or explanation would have been a good idea and would have just offerred a focal point for someone to get angry, pitch a fit, take out their grief on someone, etc and that would have made for a far worse and far more disrepectful scene than an unintentioanl fart on a horn. Your implication that Rick would not have made it back to the car if it had been your fathers funeral illustrates that nicely. And believe me, if that had occurred, your disrepectful and intentional conduct would have been far more memorable and far more damaging to all involved than Rick's unintentional mistake.
Well said!

GeekDiver:
Had he explained himself to the family afterwards and not just running off I would be inclined to agree, but I thought it shameful and offensive as he told it. Now that he's had time to digest his actions he chose to discuse it in a humor section which makes it worse.

I have two flag cases in my den from my father and grandfather who were both combat vets. My son will have another to add when I die. As a combat vet who has heard taps play in a combat zone for a fellow brother in arms killed in action. I find nothing funny about giggling at a funeral. Making a mistake or having a problem is understandable laughing and then running off with out an explainiation is another.
When we rehearsed before the event, I was instructed to walk slowly off the after I played Taps, not just stand there. I didn't run off (although I sure felt like it!).

I mean no disrespect to the deceased, to the family or to anyone who served in our armed forces. Please forgive me if I have offend you or anyone else.

I am frequently asked to play taps because, each year at the church where I work, I produce a tribute to those who have and currently serve. One of the songs is me playing a medley of military trumpet calls. I understand the importance to family and loved ones that there lost family member be properly honored.

Again, there was no intent to disrespect anyone, and if I have offended anyone, I do apologize.

The granddaughter is scheduled to meet me here at the church today, when I will most certainly apologize.

I'll post what she has to say.
GeekDiver:
TAPs always bring tears to my eyes even if I don't know the person being honored because I understand and have been there.
This one brought tears to mine!! :D

Oh, and GeekDiver, I guess this means I don't get the gig. :wink:

Rick,
For my part as a veteran and on behalf of my father, I say job well done.
I've heard that tune way too much. It would be good to garner a smile from it from time to time.

the K

As an aside I remember the tale from my great Uncle Charlie's funeral. He was known as the joker in the familly, if something out of place could be said, he would say it, with some added bells and whistles just in case he didn't quite offend everyone. At his funeral the hearse took the wrong direction, the funeral procession got broken into fragments and finally he was late to his own funeral. Everyone agreed that this is exactly what Charlie would have wanted. I think and hope that this was the same in this case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom