True story: A Solemn Moment an honored Dead - Or NOT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airsix:
<sigh>
Here we go again. I don't know what it's going to take to get it into you brass player's heads. A trumpet IS NOT DIR!!!!!!! You must get a bugle! A bugle is the ONLY DIR aproved brass instrument! A trumpet has no less than 5 uncessessary potential failure points! There are 3 internal valves, a tuning slide, and as you are so well aware, the vile spit valve. The internal valves require frequent lubrication, and how many lives have been needlessly lost when a valve was inadvertently inserted incorrectly unbeknownst to the player until that fateful moment when the band was 2/3 of the way trough a movement and the player raised his trumpet to his lips only to discover a spun valve! The horor!

You should adopt the DIR way and play with a bugle and wear a spare mouthpiece hung on a bungie necklace.

-Ben

Nicely played.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Nicely played.

---
Ken

Hope I didn't offend anyone. I am not in ANY way against DIR. In fact I am rather drawn to it. I just thought it was a funny parallel.

-Ben

airsix:
Hope I didn't offend anyone. I am not in ANY way against DIR. In fact I am rather drawn to it. I just thought it was a funny parallel.

-Ben

Your post completely ruled.

---
Ken

airsix:

-Ben
Right. Wouldn't want to offend those sensitive DIR guys... :D

You forgot about the 3 slides connected to the valves. They arn't used much and are prone to neglect. You trying pulling out a second valve slide after not touching it in months. That's when the $h!t really hits the fan. :D

DennisW:
I would hope that the family would understand. However, I am sure the deceased surely did.

Have you ever heard taps on a trombone? Much more somber sound than on a trumpet. I used to play the trombone. It's still in the closet.

Never heard taps on a trombone, and I used to play one. Just wish I had never gotten rid of it!

Rick,

Thanks for sharing the story - it was pretty funny and don't feel bad. I had a friend who was playing the guitar at a wedding. It was outside and his music blew across the lawn and so he started playing some songs from memory. Then a string broke so he replaced it. Then another string broke and he didn't have another to replace it, so he just squeaked through and then left. Not a good day for him, but I hope hearing his story makes you feel a little better!

wetrat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom