Truk Lagoon trip report (with photos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In January Rhone Man fulfilled about a 20 year old promise to take his Dad to Truk Lagoon (RM’s Dad is knocking on 73, so we were potentially running out of time). Trip reviews on SB often get knocked for gushing praise, but it is pretty hard to do a trip review for a week on the Truk Odyssey without sounding like a schoolgirl on her first date.

Travelling. It seems mandatory to start every trip report with a narrative about how hard it was to get to the place. All you need to know is that flying from a small island in the Caribbean to a small island in the Pacific was 47 hours from wheel’s up on the first flight to wheel’s down on the last flight. It is a long way.

Chuuk, FMI. No one tends to worry too much about the country that they travel to for their diving, but I did want to just note in passing that I was really shocked at how poor and underdeveloped Chuuk was. Several power cuts a day, virtually no roads, telephone calls only go through one call in three (and then reception is terrible). It is the poorest country I have ever been to outside of Africa. I ran through a local village and all the local children kept running out to shake my hands (I felt like a rock star). Very friendly, but desperately poor. I didn’t see any of the petty crime that travel guides warn about.

The Diving. In a word, it is pretty special. We did a total of 24 dives on 13 different wrecks, each of which would have been the star attraction on any other diving holiday. Together they are just overwhelming. All the wrecks are remarkable in their own way; I can easily see why the Fujikawa Maru is often referred to as the finest wreck dive in the world, although I personally thought that the Nippo Maru and the San Francisco Maru were even better. Pictures speak louder than words, so I have posted just a few of our photos (out of the 1,400 pictures that my Dad and I took collectively) below as a sample.

A few things about the diving in Truk which I had not really expected:
  • In the literature, they talk about wrecks of lots of different depths for all skills levels. Not really true with respect to the featured wrecks. With few exceptions they are all 100 foot or deeper. The average max depth of our 24 dives was 109 feet.
  • I was surprised how poor the viz was. It wasn’t poor like diving in the Hudson or a Scottish loch, but it was much less clear than the Caribbean (or the promotional photos). The Odyssey staff said viz was like that pretty much year round.
  • Not much marine life. OK, there were fish, but not nearly as vibrant as one would expect, and certainly not for a Pacific atoll. I have no idea why.
  • The water is very warm. My last dive in the Caribbean before I flew out in January I was wearing a 3mm fullsuit. In Truk I was diving in a 1mm shortie. My Dad was diving in a T-shirt (until he picked up some scratches, then he put a wetsuit on for protection).
  • Virtually no current whatsoever in Truk. It was really nice to able to drop off the hang bar and basically not move anywhere and float during safety stops/deco.
The Odyssey. As RJP once wrote – to dive on the Odyssey is to ruin any future trip you might take on a liveaboard. I cannot think of anything that they could have done much better (at least, not without the ability to clone Jessica Alba). It starts with the opening dive briefing: “On this boat ‘deco’ is not a four letter word’ On this boat ‘solo’ is not a four letter word. You dive how you are comfortable diving. If you want guides, we will provide them. If you want to dive alone, we just ask that you do not die. We will treat you like adults until you prove otherwise.” And basically they do. The boat visits two or three wrecks per day. And once they say “the pool is open” you can dive as often as you like until they move on. You can ask for a guide if you like, but they are equally happy for you to go off alone. Realistically, you have the opportunity to do up to five dives a day. They refill your tanks almost immediately after each dive. Between dives are either meals or beverages and snacks. Warm fluffy towels were in inexhaustible supply. The crew are charming and friendly. It was eat, sleep, dive in maximum comfort and on spectacular wrecks. Food was pretty good too. Almost everyone dived without a guide unless they were penetrating. The guides were highly knowledgeable, and always on the wrecks buzzing around if you needed them, but they certainly did not bother you.

Blue Lagoon Dive Shop. We arrived ahead of time and did four dives with Blue Lagoon before we boarded the Odyssey. It is a slightly cheap and cheerful operation, except that it is not cheap. Dive boats are fishing skiffs with wooden roofs nailed on. If you want nitrox, they will blend it for you, but you pay through the nose (see comments above about depths of wrecks). No regrets about getting some early dives in before boarding, but it is a quantum leap when you get aboard the Odyssey.

Blue Lagoon Hotel. The Blue Lagoon Hotel (where we stayed before boarding the Odyssey, and the night after) is the nicest hotel in Chuuk. But it would probably be just a one star hotel in the mainland US. They feed you and keep the rain off you, but that is about it. There is no beach, there is no pool. You can dive, and you can read in your room. If you have to stay in Chuuk, you probably want to stay there, but definitely be aware it is not luxury living.

Summary. Truk Lagoon is really somewhere everyone should dive at least once in their life. I am really glad I got to take my Dad, and I am really looking forward to going back with my sons one day.

Last edited:
Some thumbnails of some of my photos:

Thanks for the great report. I'm on my iPhone and for some reason the pics are very tiny so I'll check them out when I get home. The Odyssey is on the short list for Barracuda Beth and me.

Thanks for the report. I've heard much the same from other folks that have been there. Maybe one day...

I need to get back there. Soon.

Glad to hear you and dad had a great time.

Great Report and great photos. You are no doubt a good son! Diving at 74 gives me hope.
As an aside, do find it strange that an Engine Telegraph manufactured in Japan during a war would have all engine commands written in English.

As an aside, do find it strange that an Engine Telegraph manufactured in Japan during a war would have all engine commands written in English.

Why do you assume it was...
a.) Manufactured in Japan?
b.) Manufactured during the war?

Most of the ships in Truk were merchant ships that were pressed into military service when the war broke out and escalated. Accordingly, they were largely built well before the war, and a few were not built in Japan. For instance the Hoki Maru was built in 1921, by William Denny & Brothers, Dumbarton, Scotland and was owned by a New Zealand company before it was captured by the Japanese and pressed into service.

Not assuming anything, I can read. It says manufactured in Osaka Japan. Japan was at war with China for several years before the USA got involved.

Thnx for the report

Not assuming anything, I can read. It says manufactured in Osaka Japan.

My bad - didn't look that closely at the picture.

But some of the ships in the lagoon were captured and built well before the war by non-Japanese ship builders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom