Truk Lagoon trip report (with photos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most dives were on Nitrox 30, but for the San Francisco Maru we were on Nitrox 24 for backgas (and whatever you wanted for deco gases). Interestingly, they are big believers in diving at 1.6 ATA for the deeper dives. Because as JJ memorably put it: "I have seen plenty of people bent, but I have never known anyone Tox, and I have never met anyone who has known anyone Tox." Certainly an interesting viewpoint.

But they will serve you whatever blend you want for any dive, especially San Francisco and other deeper stuff. My first week on board we were more of a "tech group" and there were only 7 of us, so we did a fair bit of deeper, longer stuff than a typical week.

What happened to Lenny and Cara?

Still around. Lenny, JJ, and Nelson (and now Todd, I believe) switch off captain duties.

My first week on board we were more of a "tech group" and there were only 7 of us, so we did a fair bit of deeper, longer stuff than a typical week.

That would be really nice. There were very few tec divers during my week. Next time I go back (haven't told the wife yet...), I was planning to head to Truk stop for a week first to try and get a look at some of the deeper wrecks like the Oite and the Aikoku Maru before jumping back on the Odyssey.

Still around. Lenny, JJ, and Nelson (and now Todd, I believe) switch off captain duties.
Thanks. It was just Capt. Lenny back when I went (2002). I also had the pleasure of spending 10 days on the Okeanos Aggressor with JJ as a fellow passenger while he was in between the Rorqual and the Odyssey, so we got to know each other pretty well. Some day I'll make it out to Truk again.

Thanks. It was just Capt. Lenny back when I went (2002). I also had the pleasure of spending 10 days on the Okeanos Aggressor with JJ as a fellow passenger while he was in between the Rorqual and the Odyssey, so we got to know each other pretty well. Some day I'll make it out to Truk again.

Lenny was on for both of my Odyssey weeks - great guy. Had a hell of a time!

Thanks for the review RM. I'll be putting together a group for my 40th in May of 2013 and I can't wait. I've been planning this one in my head for easily the last 20 years, so I can relate to your story. Thanks for feeding the fire!

-E

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom