Truk Lagoon trip report (with photos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was surprised how much English language writing was on various parts of the wrecks, and artifacts strewn around the wrecks. Of all of the "writing" phots that I took, only one or two are of Kanji characters, the others are of Latin script - usually in English. Even for the stuff that was manufactured in Japan.

Ray, thanks again for all your help and advice leading up to the trip.

Thank you so much for this report. We are going in April - this is so helpful!! I've only been warm-water diving once, so I had no idea what to plan for. Thanks again.

Thank you so much for this report. We are going in April - this is so helpful!! I've only been warm-water diving once, so I had no idea what to plan for. Thanks again.

The water in Truk is astonishingly warm. Even in January my Dad (who normally wears a wetsuit in the Caribbean) wore just a T-shirt until he got a scrape on one wreck, which persuaded him to don his neoprene armour.

The water in Truk is astonishingly warm. Even in January my Dad (who normally wears a wetsuit in the Caribbean) wore just a T-shirt until he got a scrape on one wreck, which persuaded him to don his neoprene armour.

I, on the other hand, dove dry for 57 dives over 17 days while I was there!

:eyebrow:

RJP3.JPG

Trip reviews on SB often get knocked for gushing praise, but it is pretty hard to do a trip review for a week on the Truk Odyssey without sounding like a schoolgirl on her first date.

It's funny, I asked a SB regular last week why more dive reports aren't posted. They said the same as you, that they are routinely ridiculed for one reason or another,

To me, they are of great interest. Very nice story Rhoneman. Keep them coming all.

They're only ridiculed if they do something ridiculous (like wearing a dry suit in Truk Lagoon :D)

They're only ridiculed if they do something ridiculous (like wearing a dry suit in Truk Lagoon :D)

It's been worn in Bonaire, Caymans, Curacao, Hawaii, Red Sea, Key Largo, and many other places too - all with appropriate ridicule!

Thanks for the report! One question -- were you diving Nitrox off the liveaboard?

Who was the Captain, Nelson or JJ?
JJ. Really nice guy, but it was also cool because he used to live in St Croix, so we had something else in common (other than diving).

Also, his wife, Kim, may be the best diver that I have ever seen in my life.

Thanks for the report! One question -- were you diving Nitrox off the liveaboard?
Most dives were on Nitrox 30, but for the San Francisco Maru we were on Nitrox 24 for backgas (and whatever you wanted for deco gases). Interestingly, they are big believers in diving at 1.6 ATA for the deeper dives. Because as JJ memorably put it: "I have seen plenty of people bent, but I have never known anyone Tox, and I have never met anyone who has known anyone Tox." Certainly an interesting viewpoint.

Back
Top Bottom