Truk, Palau, or PNG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rkru

Registered
Reaction score
If you could only visit one of these in your life, which would you choose?

Palau. Haven't done PNG, which shows how I feel about it. Would do Truk again, but Palau has more dive site diversity and is far more tourist friendly on land as well. Don't leave Indonesia off your list.

I have not done PNG, but I'd say Palau unless you really love wrecks. Also, why not do Palau and Truk on the same trip? They are a puddle jumper away from each other. That said, I'd do Fakarava/Rangiroa over Palau :wink:

Just got back from Truk, Palau, and Peliliu. Was in Truk in 2006. If you want to dive the wrecks, do it soon. After almost 70 years they are really starting to deteriorate and collapse.
But the wrecks are awesome to see, along with the history experience. The Odyssey is the best experience, more dives per day, and on-board nitrox as well. Make sure you have a nitrox cert and understand your computer for deco, it's very easy to be in deco there as the wrecks are typically 100+, especially if you go looking around the holds and engine rooms.

Palau was nice, but it is a very long boat ride to the main sites, typically only 2 dives per day from a shore based op. More restaurants and things than Peliliu.
After staying on Palau, we went to Peliliu (1 hour boat ride) which is really close to the dive sites, typically a few minutes, so you can get more diving in, or at least don't spend all day for 2 dives. Also, the dive ops from Peliliu avoid the crowds, so it's a better experience. The WWII tour on Peliliu is really interesting as well. We stayed at Dolphin Resort, very nice setup.
As to PNG, haven't been there, but have been to Raja Ampat, the Indonesia side. The diving there is spectacular. Critters obviously don't see a lot of dive traffic, they are unperturbed by divers. Did that on the Paradise Dancer, 10 day liveaboard.

Have done similar diving around Komodo and Sulawesi. For awesome diving and very pristine sites, you can't beat a liveaboard in Indonesia.

So, I guess where you go depends on what you want to see. Truk is good for wrecks and if you are there, it's pretty easy to pop over to Palau via Guam. Note that it is hard to line up the various legs to go to Truk, then guam, then palau online. We went through a travel agent to get that all sorted out. Palau is great for sharks and turtles and some very nice walls and reef areas.

Anything Indonesia is huge biodiversity, tons of nudibranchs, lots of species of everything. And muck diving for some really bizarre critters.

Once you dive Indonesia, it's hard to find anything better. We are going next year to Wakatobi. Other sites are nice and interesting, but Indonesia is tops.

So try Truk/Palau this time around, then Indonesia next major dive trip. Best of the best!

Have to PNG multiple times, Palau once, never been to Truk. Three very different destinations, but I'd say PNG...best diving in the world outside of Indonesia

Chuuk (to give it its correct name) is brilliant, been there 6 times. PNG has so many places, all good, but some better than others (4 times here). Palau is also brilliant. If you love wrecks, then Chuuk is the place. If you love reefs but also like wrecks, then PNG. If you just love big fish, Palau.

Cannot go wrong with any of the places really.

We have been to PNG and to Palau. They are very different but both wonderful! PNG was hard to get to. We went through Australia and also spent some time there to break up the trip. The diving in PNG was fabulous and well worth the pain of getting there. We just got back recently from Palau and loved that trip. PNG combined both macro and big stuff while Palau was more about the big stuff!( although Sam's wall had some great macro...) I also agree with the suggestion of Indonesia. We are heading there in a few months for our 10th time all in different areas! It is worth checking it out! Have fun!

Truk, but I'm a bit of a history nerd.

Three years ago, I went Chuuk as my once in a lifetime trip. I loved every minute of it. I now want to go back for my second once in a life time trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom