Trust my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

........I took the opportunity to have a longer(5ft) LP hose installed for the second reg, as I believe its gotta be easier to share........

This is in theory very true however you have just added an entanglement hazard to your diver person. You need to make sure that you know where that excess hose is at all times to ensure there is no possibility of it catching something and that if it is required, it can be dispatched easily without getting twisted in with your other hoses and equipment. Just food for thought.

By the way....was this new shop the one most local to you that we discussed?

This is in theory very true however you have just added an entanglement hazard to your diver person. You need to make sure that you know where that excess hose is at all times to ensure there is no possibility of it catching something and that if it is required, it can be dispatched easily without getting twisted in with your other hoses and equipment. Just food for thought.

By the way....was this new shop the one most local to you that we discussed?

-You're right, it does add an entanglement option. I doing a little research here on Scubaboard to examine the various options on that front.

-Yep, I went to the first shop mentioned in your PM, and was impressed. I'll be dealing with them from now on. Thanks for the tip. :) I'll keep the other LDS sweet, just in case I have any warranty issues with the gear I bought new from him.

I'm 6'6" and I use a 24" hose without any issues, but I do admit it is a preference thing, and diving a compass mounted console would not be possible with this short of a hose. I was going to offer to trade a spare HP hose for your 24" if you wanted, but it looks like you have it sorted out already.

The 5' hose is fine, but you need to learn what to do with it. The best I can recommend is to find someone who dives a long hose in your area and ask them to do a dive with you, but otherwise, you can do some searches on the forum to see how to set this up. The long and short is that the 5' hose is best put on your primary with a backup strung around your neck. You donate the regulator that you are breathing in an OOA situation (I.E., your primary, which is on the 5' hose), and go to your backup, which is strung around your neck on a short necklace. If you want any guidance on this, PM me, and I can go over it a little more, or maybe someone will fill you in a little better...

Tom

I'm 6'6" and I use a 24" hose without any issues, but I do admit it is a preference thing, and diving a compass mounted console would not be possible with this short of a hose. I was going to offer to trade a spare HP hose for your 24" if you wanted, but it looks like you have it sorted out already.

The 5' hose is fine, but you need to learn what to do with it. The best I can recommend is to find someone who dives a long hose in your area and ask them to do a dive with you, but otherwise, you can do some searches on the forum to see how to set this up. The long and short is that the 5' hose is best put on your primary with a backup strung around your neck. You donate the regulator that you are breathing in an OOA situation (I.E., your primary, which is on the 5' hose), and go to your backup, which is strung around your neck on a short necklace. If you want any guidance on this, PM me, and I can go over it a little more, or maybe someone will fill you in a little better...

Tom

Thanks for the offer of a trade, much appreciated. I decided to add the almost new 24"(only 2 dives on it) to my save-a-dive kit.

I agree with the setup you describe, for several reasons, the first being I believe its better to donate a reg that you know is working(because you are using it), than to risk giving the other reg to someone who is already under stress. Secondly, having your 2nd reg on a necklace makes almost a hands-free operation.

The 5ft primary/24" secondary-on-a-neckless hose set up is terrific for OW diving and presents less of an entanglement hazard as well as neater hose routing than the typical 30" primary/40" secondary. Now, just to screw you up even more, try getting the compass off your console and put it on your wrist, the you can go back to the 24" SPG which routs perfectly to your left hip. Of course, if you're also using a console computer you'd have to change that too, so maybe it's not for you. If you have a console that includes SPG, computer (or depth gauge) and a compass, it's questionable judgement IMO for the guy at LDS#1 to put a 24" hose on it, as he should have easily known that it would be less convenient to use the compass. With a 36" hose (the normal length for a set up like that) you can rout it the same way, under your left shoulder, but attach it to the right hip D ring. This way it won't dangle or stick out too much and will be easily accessible. Anyway, you might get tired of having to look at the console every time you want to check depth/time and end up moving to a wrist computer. Lots of computers that come in consoles have available wrist boots; if yours is one of those it would be easy to move it.

The 5ft primary/24" secondary-on-a-neckless hose set up is terrific for OW diving and presents less of an entanglement hazard as well as neater hose routing than the typical 30" primary/40" secondary. Now, just to screw you up even more, try getting the compass off your console and put it on your wrist, the you can go back to the 24" SPG which routs perfectly to your left hip. Of course, if you're also using a console computer you'd have to change that too, so maybe it's not for you. If you have a console that includes SPG, computer (or depth gauge) and a compass, it's questionable judgement IMO for the guy at LDS#1 to put a 24" hose on it, as he should have easily known that it would be less convenient to use the compass. With a 36" hose (the normal length for a set up like that) you can rout it the same way, under your left shoulder, but attach it to the right hip D ring. This way it won't dangle or stick out too much and will be easily accessible. Anyway, you might get tired of having to look at the console every time you want to check depth/time and end up moving to a wrist computer. Lots of computers that come in consoles have available wrist boots; if yours is one of those it would be easy to move it.

A wealth of useful information, thanks, Mattboy.

No computer, as yet. My plan is to get used to using tables, so that when I do move to a computer, I'll have an idea of whether the computer is right, and whether I set it up correctly each time. Kinda like knowing how to do math in your head well enough to know when a mistake has been made with a calculator. That's my theory :p

I do like the idea of moving the compass to my wrist; is there a strap that takes the console compass, or do I need to start again?

.......I do like the idea of moving the compass to my wrist; is there a strap that takes the console compass, or do I need to start again?

Most console mounted compasses will have available a wrist mount for them. Check with your new dive shop and they should be able to help you. With it on your wrist, it becomes very easy and comfortable to navigate by it (IMHO).

I just ordered a necklace from Dive Rite, hope it arrives in for next planned dive at Abucs Scuba Dive Brockville.com St Lawrence River, Ontario Canada on the 30th, so I can try out the config you mention.

My LDS did mention that he didn't like the fact that one of my 72cuFt steel tanks(hydro&viz at other LDS only 2 weeks ago)has no provision for a burst disk, so he wouldn't fill it again(After this fill) until I get it sorted. Which seems fair enough; should the other shop have spotted this? Is it a legal requirement? Or just good practice? Either way, its another nail in the coffin for the other LDS.

Anyone have an opinion on this one? Are burst disks a legal requirement in Ontario?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom