Trust my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The burst disk would be on the valve. I don't know the specifics for Transport Canada, but I would guess that they are required. I think it would be fairly hard to get a valve in North America that didn't have a burst disk. I think European tanks aren't required to have a burst disk.

Perhaps he meant that either your burst disk was an old style, plugged, or the wrong burst pressure?

The burst disk would be on the valve. I don't know the specifics for Transport Canada, but I would guess that they are required. I think it would be fairly hard to get a valve in North America that didn't have a burst disk. I think European tanks aren't required to have a burst disk.

Perhaps he meant that either your burst disk was an old style, plugged, or the wrong burst pressure?

I double-checked today and there is no burst disk at all.

I double-checked today and there is no burst disk at all.
Very interesting! What kind of valve is on there now? Do you have any details about the tank? History? Original hydro date? Previous owners? Hopefully you didn't buy from a cave diver :eek:

I'm not familiar with TC requirements, but if you want to add a burst disk, it sounds like you'll need a new valve.

Very interesting! What kind of valve is on there now? Do you have any details about the tank? History? Original hydro date? Previous owners? Hopefully you didn't buy from a cave diver :eek:

I'm not familiar with TC requirements, but if you want to add a burst disk, it sounds like you'll need a new valve.

Are cave divers hard on tanks? Do they bang the valves on overheads?

The tank is an older steel 72, 2250psi, with a J valve. I inherited it from my father law about 6 years ago. He wasn't a cave diver, but he did build his own rebreather, which I still have somewhere, but would never use, since I don't have the training for it.(I also have about 6 small oxygen bottles from the rebreather) I'll check the date on the tank in the morning and let you know. I have 2 of these steel 72's, 1 with a burst disk, the other without.

I took a couple of pics of the tank in question, hope they show they info needed.
Air tank.jpg

Air tank 2.jpg

Photos are not great quality, did them without the flash as seemed to wash out the image due to the shiny yellow paint.

Thanks for your help:D

Looks like a steel tank made in 1976. The fill pressure is 2250. It might be eligible for a 10% overfill if it meets the proper requirements. Take that with a shot of lime and a grain of salt since I'm not as familiar with older steel tanks.

The valve looks like a J-valve. There should be a knob to turn on the air on one side and a knob with a closed loop on the other. The second knob activates the reserve- it only moves about a 1/4 turn. I think the recommendation is to dive the with the reserve activated (closed loop down), unless you want to feel like Jacque Cousteau or Mike Nelson. :wink:

Looks like a steel tank made in 1976. The fill pressure is 2250. It might be eligible for a 10% overfill if it meets the proper requirements. Take that with a shot of lime and a grain of salt since I'm not as familiar with older steel tanks.

The valve looks like a J-valve. There should be a knob to turn on the air on one side and a knob with a closed loop on the other. The second knob activates the reserve- it only moves about a 1/4 turn. I think the recommendation is to dive the with the reserve activated (closed loop down), unless you want to feel like Jacque Cousteau or Mike Nelson. :wink:

Yeah, I always dive with reserve open.

The LDS that hydro'd the tank was willing to overfill to 3000psi, while my favorite LDS won't fill it all, due to no burst disk. Go figger.:shakehead:

If I recall correctly, the steel 72s are just slightly smaller than AL80s. I think sometimes, the dude in the back just fills 'em all to 3000. It wouldn't surprise me if some shops would fill a condemned tank.

I was getting fills once and the tank dude was partial pressure blending two tanks with nitrox. I snuck a quick peek- the two tanks had different fill pressures, one was out of hydro and both were out of vis. :eek:

If I recall correctly, the steel 72s are just slightly smaller than AL80s. I think sometimes, the dude in the back just fills 'em all to 3000. It wouldn't surprise me if some shops would fill a condemned tank.

I was getting fills once and the tank dude was partial pressure blending two tanks with nitrox. I snuck a quick peek- the two tanks had different fill pressures, one was out of hydro and both were out of vis. :eek:

Yikes! Sounds like ya gotta keep on eye on the tank monkey!

^^ In cave country they rarely check any of that nonsense. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom