Truth Aquatics suspending operations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@markmud I agree on both points. In fact, if I'd had the option before to pay an extra $65 to kick a few people off just to give myself some elbow room, I would've done it. I feel like a jerk for saying that; I know not everyone is as fortunate and I don't want to deny people access. But I do tend to like people better when I'm not cheek to jowl with so many of them.

I wonder what effect this will have on the crew's tips. I hope fewer people doesn't mean they earn less, though that seems likely. Maybe the price increase will mean a slightly wealthier group of passengers, who might tip better, enough to at least somewhat offset the loss. I certainly plan to give more.

The price just went up from $170 to $235 due to the reduction in passenger load

38% increase is substantial, and more than I would have thought. Add in a hotel for the night before...

When the Conception fire first happened, I remember people who dive the area were saying that due to logistics/distance, it would be difficult to dive that area with a day only boat.

It would limit a trip to Anacapa or Santa Cruz islands, and closer anchorages between dives to fit in three dives in a day. A lot of travel for a few dives. The majority of day trips I have made are to Anacapa, the closest island to the mainland.

I wonder what effect this will have on the crew's tips. I hope fewer people doesn't mean they earn less, though that seems likely. Maybe the price increase will mean a slightly wealthier group of passengers, who might tip better, enough to at least somewhat offset the loss. I certainly plan to give more.

Tips may suffer, less divers overall, paying a lot more for the same dives.

These are not wealthier divers trips, one bunk room, cold water, crowded even on a limited load trip. Wealthier divers will find warm water and luxury, the ones that want this experience are already using the boats. This is for "local" cold water divers, hunters and photographers that want to go somewhere different and unique.

"Local" clubs charter the boat, or two do half the boat each, for the two or three day trips and when I want to go I have to buy a spot from the club, not the boat. I have never had a problem getting the one to three spots I needed. If these clubs can't get the numbers, they will not make the charter, that will be the make or break moment for the boats.

Bob

This is for "local" cold water divers, hunters and photographers that want to go somewhere different and unique.

People who are already paying the cost of living that comes with living in California (which varies by location from what I understand, but I don't recall anybody calling it cheap!).

A blow to affordability.

Richard.

Off the top of my head, that sounds like a 25% reduction in capacity. That in itself could doom the industry, they don't run a huge profit margin to begin with. From what I've seen, limited load trips have not been that popular, due to the premium price, and this would make every overnight trip a limited load. Day trips might become more the norm, with a larger passenger count and shorter trips.

Bob
I would hope that capacity reductions don’t cause an issue. My friends and I specially sought out limited load charters and gladly paid the cost difference for the better experience.

The trip organizer added that he had been contacted by Truth Aquatics and that they had been told the same (side double bunks couldn't be kept). He also mentioned an expected 20% bump in cost per passenger, but I can't recall whether that was for the Peace or the Truth Aquatics boat.
Also, for the first time, I was not able to sleep on the Peace the night prior to the trip, as the boat didn't have a crew member available. And even if one had been available, the trip organizer would have been charged $150 for it, so yes, the cost of boat diving in SoCal is going to increase.
Would I rather pay more and feel that we have heeded the lesson taught by this accident? You bet I would.
However, I am not certain that the current USCG regulatory changes are necessarily the best to address the shortcomings revealed by the Conception tragedy.
I paid extra through my LDS for a double bunk as a single. This was common prior to the fire. If they sold me a double at a premium when double bunking is not allowed, I’m going to be mighty pissed.

I would hope that capacity reductions don’t cause an issue. My friends and I specially sought out limited load charters and gladly paid the cost difference for the better experience.

It isn't that limited load trips are bad, but you do pay premium. The majority of their overnight trips are charters by clubs, and the club sells the berths, if they don't sell them they eat the cost, not the boat. I've always gotten spots because the clubs didn't sell all their spots to their members. I've gone on "limited load" trips because the charter sponsor count the sell the bunks. As a note I haven't noticed that club chartering since.

It will just depend on how many divers can afford the increase, and a hotel room or being charged to sleep on the boat before as @uwxplorer mentioned. The increase and hotel could easily total to match the price of the boat trip. If the clubs can't fill their trips they may drop, or decrease their trips. It's going to effect profitability if trips are dropped, and if enough are dropped there is no profit.

Buggy whip manufacturers didn't go out of business because no one bought buggy whips, it was because no one bought enough to keep them in business.

Bob

$235 for a 2 day diving trip? By Great Lakes day boat standards (all we have here except for a liveaboard around Isle Royale in Lake Superior), that is downright cheap.

How many dives are you doing? Here it’s anywhere from $120-$180 depending on distance to dive site (fuel costs) for a 2 tank dive.

Do the boats run all year round?

It's actually just a one-day trip. They board the night before and depart around 2 a.m., arriving at the island in the wee hours. I believe it's 3 dives, then we head back. I haven't done this trip yet, but it's my understanding they do it this way for Santa Barbara Island because it's a little farther than the other Channel Islands, for which they usually depart around 6 or 7 a.m. and return between 5 and 6 p.m. I've seen the Santa Barbara trip offered in the summer through December; I understand January - April may be possible but weather is unpredictable so not a good bet. These trips aren't as frequent; I've been trying to get on one all year. Trips to the other Channel Islands are offered pretty much every weekend all year.

$235 for a 2 day diving trip? By Great Lakes day boat standards (all we have here except for a liveaboard around Isle Royale in Lake Superior), that is downright cheap.

How many dives are you doing? Here it’s anywhere from $120-$180 depending on distance to dive site (fuel costs) for a 2 tank dive.

Do the boats run all year round?
Yes all year around. 3 days of 4-5 dives per day all inclusive is about 700$

"Sep 6, 2019 · Victims in the tragic dive boat fire likely died of smoke inhalation, not burns, Santa Barbara County ... said Friday they had located next of kin for all 34 people who died aboard the Conception."

This came out soon after the bodies were taken to the coroner. It was not an official report but was an official announcement by authorities dealing with the tragedy.

Bob
I've read almost everything regarding this accident. A few of the earliest articles claimed the first 4 bodies that were recovered were recovered off the sea floor and all appeared to have drown. This leads me to think that possibly some were able to get off or close to off the vessel and then drown. I was disappointed in the fact that autopsies weren't conducted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom