Trying to research a Teacher's whisky bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aussie Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've mentioned this find before on this board, but I'm trying to get some information about it. Towards the end of last year, I found an intact & sealed bottle of teacher's whisky while diving. It was in an open sandy area, so we're assuming that it's been uncovered with a lot of the sand movement that's been going on around here.

I've talked to a few people about it, and it seems to be from the mid 1800s (made from a 3-piece mould), and it's definately a bottle of Teacher's scotch whisky (the lead seal on top says 'William Teachers and Son's, Glasgow'). Right now I'm trying to get a little more of an exact date on it, as well as an idea of value. Does anyone know much about this type of thing, or know anyone who does? Any information would be much appreciated.

I'm also after some preservation tips. Not so much for the glass, but for the cork. The bottle had been submerged in fresh water for about 2 months, but is now slowly drying out, with the top/cork covered in gladwrap, to keep it in tight, and keep it moist. Any idea about how I shoudl go about this now? Thanks heaps.

Pics:

Back
Top Bottom