TSA and pony cylinder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WelshGasman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

In the UK a lot of us have a BC with a small cylinder attached to it. My BC is now a BUDDY Commando. I used to have a Profile. The configuration of this cylinder changed between jackets. This trip I took out my new jacket and its cylinder. It went through TSA Houston twice. Once outbound to La and then to Cozumel. I leave my gear out there.

So I brought my old cylinder with connecting hose back from Cozumel to Louisiana and then intended to bring it home for conversion.

TA in SHV told me that is must be dismantled, that is, valve removed from cylinder. Houston told me it was OK when I tried to clarify on my way home.

Has anyone else experienced this problem. I know a US diver at the beginning of my trip had a decent size pony with him. How on earth did that get through, if this is the case. Cylinder was empty as always.

I've yet to contact TSA Customer services for something written.

TIA

I am surprised you ever got away with going through with the valve in place!

Pete

Official position is valve removed. Obviously not all agents know the rules. Now you understand why we Americans feel so safe!

Valve must be removed--period.

N

Never had a problem before this, as long as the cylinder was empty and I always made sure it was empty any time I travelled with it.
Seems Houston is a little lax then.?

That doesn't make me particularly safe at all, though they can tell form the Xray that there is nothing inside of it.

A dive buddy has just sent me this link http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2004/07/02/tsa-announces-travel-tips-july-4-travelers

Thanks for all the replies.

I am surprised you ever got away with going through with the valve in place!

Pete

---------- Post added December 1st, 2012 at 10:43 PM ----------

Last edited:
That doesn't make me particularly safe at all, though they can tell form the Xray that there is nothing inside of it.

I don’t believe the X-ray machines in the airport are powerful enough to go through a pressure vessel (scuba tank). I have seen the screens of the X-ray machine and it looks like they can barely penetrate the metal cans in my double hose regulators. I get stopped must of the time because they can’t really see inside.

The wall thickness in a scuba cylinder is much thicker. The X-ray equipment used for radiography testing on pipes of similar wall thickness is much more powerful. Where I work, when they are taking X-rays of pipe joints, they have to clear the area due to radiation. And to actually take a clear picture through the pipe it can take a long time of radiation through the pipe (sometimes more than an hour). Granted, the resolution they are looking for is small, but the source of radiation required looks to be much more powerful.

It only takes a second for an X-ray at my dentist and people tell me I have a thick head. :confused:

The xray machines are only as good as the operator. I once by accident left a couple of rounds of ammo in a carry on with a tool set, it went right though TSA no problem. I just about peed my pants when I unpacked in the hotel room and realized how much trouble I could have been in.

My wife carried a .308 round to Denver this last October. Pre-9/11 they flipped over a .45acp round left in a bag. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom