TSA and regs with hoseless dive comps...Anyone having issues this month?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sshrum

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've searched the forums and I've found a number of people saying that they've been able to get these on planes and I've found newer posts saying that they couldn't.

I'm looking for what the LAX TSA is doing this month. I always pack light and just do carry-on. Going to Maui in mid-January

Anyone take a interstate flight recently with their reg/hoseless dive comp and have any issues going thru security?

[Posted in "Travel and Vacations" but traffic there is light compared to here ]

I know this is an old subject but it seems like the rulings change from time to time.

I'll be heading out to Hawaii next month out of LAX and wanted to know if TSA is giving divers with regs with hoseless dive comps hassles this month.

Anyone do a interstate flight outta LAX with this setup as a carry-on? Did TSA give you grief?

TIA

Never had a problem with regs and computers as carry on, including through LAX (International and Domestic), or any other airport I've traveled through in the US or abroad. Right after 9/11 my regulator bag would frequently get a secondary screening, but even that hasn't happened for the last two or three years.

Not this month though...

-B

Reactions: Doc
I've NEVER had any issues with hoseless dive computers in 10 yrs of diving/traveling...I'll admit I've never used LAX though so no idea if CA is being especially wierd on treatment of dive gear these days...

There are no prohibitions, the rulings have not "changed from time to time".

They may hassle you. This is their predictable method: to be unpredictable. It might catch one wannabe martyr while pissing off 10,000 passengers.

My theory on carrying such SCUBA gear: it is a lot of heavy lifting. The stuff doesn't get stolen- that is merely an urban myth~ used SCUBA gear is bulky, hard to conceal for theft, and his little comparable value.

You can hammer nails with a reg set. I would always carry a dive computer or digital camera. They are delicate and actually do have a resale value.

Check it. (957 frantic dissenting opinions to follow)

I don't fly out of LAX, but have done a lot of travel in the past few years, and I feel that if anything it is easier to fly with my regs/computer in my carry-on. We used to have our bags searched at every airport (except in Florida) because of our regs/computers, but it's literally been years now that TSA is familiar with what scuba gear looks like. You shouldn't have any problems.

I had a a Vyper Air & HelO2 that read off the same transmitter. Never had any problem carrying on the regulator that way. Usually only asked if it is scuba gear. The only problem I've had going through LAX (2009) was my Dive Rite 10 watt HID Canister light with NiMH batteries. Because it is a very fragile & expensive light, I was carrying it with me. After going through LAX to Malaysia with no problems, on the way back home, I was forced to check my carry-on bag because the TSA officer "was concerned that I would connect the battery & cause a fire hazard" with the HID bulb (yeah... right... on a $500 light:rolleyes:). I had the battery separated from the light & wrapped up, as well as the light head. I tried to explain that it was a specialized diving light & that I had no problem carrying it out of the country that way. He then puffed himself up, explaining that he was a diver & had never seen a light like that before:coffee:. I explained that there was basically no way I could connect it, wrapped up as it was & that the battery was legal to carry on. He then also stated that they change what they allow & don't allow:confused: from time to time. I guess they change it according to whim. At least they didn't charge me for the bag. When I arrived at my home airport, guess which bag wasn't there... Yep you guessed it:shakehead:. I was a little more than pissed, as the bag also had my regulators & computers (the more fragile & expensive stuff):cussing:. To top it off, I was due to teach an OW course in a few days & needed the regs, computers & such. Thankfully, the bag showed up the next day. I will say that you shouldn't have any problems, as regulators are more common than HID lights, but it seems by what TSA in LAX decides at that moment is what goes.

My theory on carrying such SCUBA gear: it is a lot of heavy lifting. The stuff doesn't get stolen- that is merely an urban myth~ used SCUBA gear is bulky, hard to conceal for theft, and his little comparable value.

You can hammer nails with a reg set. I would always carry a dive computer or digital camera. They are delicate and actually do have a resale value.)

The reason I will carry on my regs, is that is the 1 piece of equipment that I MUST have. I want to make sure it arrives with me. I do not trust rental regulators. I do not know where they've been, how they've been treated, how they've been maintained or the hygiene of the person who last used it. I saw a diver who insisted on using rentals testing a regulator by purging it & "chunks" blew out (yes,... a prior diver had thrown up in the reg & it was not cleaned out) YUCK!. I am one of the firm believers that the reg is your primary life support underwater ( though other equipment is important too).

I fly out of LAX both domestic and international. I always carry on my regs, computer and mask. Never had a problem. I do let the TSA folks know I have scuba gear in my carry on when I putting it thru the scanners.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom