TSA Locks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phaethon:
I wonder how people who take nitroglycerine for angina even get near an airport..?

Yeah, and don't haul lawn fertilizer in the same Pelican box you pack Scuba gear in. :D

I'm not going for the TSA locks. How long did it take to conterfeit the new US currency...? :shakehead

(1) For luggage I'm checking:
  • I'll follow the bags to the TSA desk in my small, home airport, request their nylon ties, and watch to be sure they do put them on;
  • For domestic flights, returning - I secure the bags with my nylon ties. If they cut them off to inspect, they're supposed to replace them. Figure they'll slow down a thieve as much as a small lock;
  • For international return flights, however - I carry my nylon ties in my pocket, and ask the foreign security agent to use them after he's inspected the bags, as I don't expect them to have them.

(2) For "carry-on" bags that I know may have to be "gate-checked" - roller bags, going on a small plane:
  • I'll leave the bag unlocked until I get beyond the security gate;
  • Then lock it once inside - for it'll be at risk when I pass it to the luggage agent at the gate until I get it back at the next airport;
  • And I'll tie several oragne ribbons to it, to reduce the chance that another passenger will grab it by mistake before I get to it.

Bob:
The manufacturer alsao states that if TSA breaks the locks, they will repplace them for free.

So you can put them back on your luggage and have the TSA cut them off again? Sounds like Groundhog Day to me. :colgate: :palmtree: Bob

You must include the form that TSA put in your luggage stating they cut the lock off. The last 2 times I traveled and luggage was searched it did not state they cut off the lock or the zip ties, the paper was not even checked in one search and no paper in the second stating a search.

I contacted the company and I have to send each lock individually to them and pay the return shipping. For each locks it will cost me $8.85 ($3.85 priority to them and they charge $5.00 return shipping). The lock cost $9.95.

I'm sticking with a bag of 50 wire ties for $1.99.....

Vickie

I contacted the company and I have to send each lock individually to them and pay the return shipping. For each locks it will cost me $8.85 ($3.85 priority to them and they charge $5.00 return shipping). The lock cost $9.95.

I'm sticking with a bag of 50 wire ties for $1.99.....

Vickie

My point exactly. You'll be money and time ahead to use cable ties. :palmtree: Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom