TSA Stupidity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, I have an acquaintance who is a TSA trainer. He is a pretty good guy and we can talk quite frankly. When I've discussed such things with him, he tells me stories about how TSA is constantly being tested as to what will and won't get past them. He tells of people carrying blocks of cheese, wrapped in aluminum foil, with bits and pieces of wires in, on and wrapped around them. He tells of a variety containers, empty or filled with water, that have been disguised or otherwise hidden.

That's a bummer, I hope the diver gets his rebreather back.

I get stopped by TSA 50% of the time because of my regulator. When they open my bag I explain that it's a regulator and it's for scuba diving. They always look very surprised when I confirm that it's MY regulator. "Wow, you scuba dive?", they ask, to which I always wanna answer, but I dear not mouth off, "No, but I like to pretend whenever I go to the airport!!!" :idk:

Well I don't even carry cylinders when I travel with my RB. This was a case of TSA would not even look at thee cylinders, which were open I am told and the reason they gave was they were on high alert because it was the anniversary of 9/11.
That is why I try to get direct flights where ever I go and avoid the USofA when traveling

I have a very common name, so I'm on "the list" and I'm sure there is a special code on my boarding pass. I get pulled aside and checked out on most flights; it's happened to me in USA, Europe and Australia. I can't "e-ticket" and MUST go through the ticket counter to get a boarding pass every time I fly - talk about a pain in the butt. I try to take it in stride and luckily I enjoy arriving at the airport way ahead of time; rushing is not my style.

It does seem a bit naive to expect to take a rebreather on a plane,

Are you freakin kidding:confused:
Thousands of RBs fly all over the world. Mine included.

Given the circumstances that TSA employees have to work with I can't blame them too much for their actions. Yes, I agree that some of things they do seem ridiculous, such as thoroughly screening grandma and children, but the employees doing this don't make the rules. They're doing a job that many of us wouldn't want do so just keep that in mind.

It does seem a bit naive to expect to take a rebreather on a plane, so I wouldn't hold TSA completely responsible if someone doesn't bother to confirm the carry-on rules beforehand. Continental even has explicit rules regarding what gear can go in checked luggage:

Note: for Rebreather Equipment: Soda lime that is 4% Sodium Hydroxide or less will be accepted in checked baggage. Soda lime that is 4.1% Sodium Hydroxide will not be accepted in checked baggage.

I guess this brings up a related question: just how do people normally travel with rebreathers?

I've taken my rebreather on board several times as carry on luggage. There is nothing in the TSA guidelines that prohibits carrying a rebreather. I know because I've checked. I don't travel with the cylinders because I can easily get cylinders at my destination without having to deal with the hassle of taking the valves out for flying and the whole no-longer-02-clean issue.

I've had TSA get much more excited over the fact that a large metal plate (BPW) showed up on their x-ray than they ever have over the CCR. :idk:

From Continental Website
Scuba Equipment

Continental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as checked baggage. Scuba equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.

Dive bags weighing over 50lbs (23kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate dive equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight fee.

Dive bags measuring over 62 linear inches (157 cm) that contain other items in addition to or in place of dive equipment will be subject to the applicable oversize charge.

If applicable, the first ($20) or second bag fee ($30) applies to scuba equipment.

An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a $100 service charge (each way).

An empty dive tank or up to 3 rebreather tanks will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a service charge of $100. The empty dive/rebreather tank must have the regulator valve completely disconnected form the tank. The tank must not be sealed (i.e. the tank has an open end). The tank must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection by a TSA Security Screener.

Note: for Rebreather Equipment: Soda lime that is 4% Sodium Hydroxide or less will be accepted in checked baggage. Soda lime that is 4.1% Sodium Hydroxide will not be accepted in checked baggage.

An item of SCUBA equipment consists of one empty SCUBA tank, up to 3 rebreather tanks or one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport. The empty scuba/rebreather tank and a separate dive bag containing SCUBA equipment will be charged as two separate pieces.

Continental is not liable for damage to Scuba diving equipment.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for Scuba diving equipment.

All very interesting. But ...

My carry-on usually contains enough stuff to start a small electronics store: Cell phone, GPS, camera, iPod, flashlight, and sometimes a regulator and sometimes a VHF radio. The only time anyone ever wanted to look at it was a TSA agent who was a diver and wanted to compare gear and talk scuba. I regularly complain that if I saw on the scanner the profile of the stuff I carried, I'd want to look at it by hand. They tell me they can identify it as being legitimate. Go figure.

In about October, 2002, my wife traveled from Missouri to California aboard a commercial jet and needed to transport a .45 pistol. She called the airline in advance to check on the protocol. They told her it needed to have a trigger lock and be in a carrying case and to just let them know at check-in. She complied and told them at check in. They examined the trigger lock, put a big sticker saying "firearm" on the case and then asked if she wanted to ship it through or carry it onboard. When she said it was valuable (military academy class pistol), they suggested carrying it and walked her past security with it. No Big Deal. Go figure.

Is this real? Really? But not a rebreather, well, insanity knows no limits. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom