TSandM: Missing Diver in Clallam County, WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it sounds like she went down to 125' - 130' on 32% due to the down draft? Not good, but it wasn't for long. I wonder if there might have been some lingering or delayed OxTox effects that kept her from responding properly to the next event?

Ummmm.....not likely to tox at 130' even on 32%....1.6 is not some magical number that will make you tox, and honestly people dive nitrox to the 1.6MOD all the time.

Ummmm.....not likely to tox at 130' even on 32%....1.6 is not some magical number that will make you tox, and honestly people dive nitrox to the 1.6MOD all the time.

I agree. The duration of exposure also matters. It sounds like they were at slightly elevated PPO2 for a short period of time and then ascended. I doubt this was an oxtox event.

So it sounds like she went down to 125' - 130' on 32% due to the down draft? Not good, but it wasn't for long. I wonder if there might have been some lingering or delayed OxTox effects that kept her from responding properly to the next event?
1.6 ppo for a couple of minutes at start of dive? It doesn't seen likely to lead to oxtox, but I may be wrong.

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk

The sweet and good Lynne is gone, the community here grieves and offers condolence to family and friends.

What can we learn would seem to be the good Doctors question.

I am not a great diver by any means. I have been diving for 45+ years and still enjoy and find peace when I dive.

Mostly solo and minimal is my way.

I somehow think that Lynne, team GUE diver that she was would tell us-You are always solo.

RIP we will miss you.

1.6 ppo for a couple of minutes at start of dive? It doesn't seen likely to lead to oxtox, but I may be wrong.

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk

I agree an Oxygen hit is unlikely because of the short exposure time, but with the adrenalin pumping and working hard trying to work out of the strong down draft, strange things happen. Maybe in combination with some CO2 effects as well. Unfortunately we'll probably never know for sure.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Expressions of support and condolence are appreciated. Due to the special rules of this forum http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...-special-rules-accidents-incidents-forum.html some posts have been moved to the condolence thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/passings/513219-tsandm-lynne-flaherty-10.html#post7486501 A separate condolences thread allows loved ones to read them for support without having to view comments regarding the specifics of the accident.

Posts here should focus primarily on the specifics of the incident to get as accurate an analysis of the event as possible.

The respect and restraint of those posting here is greatly appreciated.

One aspect I'm unclear on (and I certainly don't expect Peter to have to deal with this) but maybe some of the others who were on the dive will be able to address this at some point...was there ever a search underwater in the immediate vicinity for Lynne or was the search just done from the surface?

I know there are different protocols and some would say stay at the surface and call help in a situation like this and others would go back down to search the immediate vicinity.

I guess I'm having trouble trying to picture Lynne having some problem (medical or otherwise) and just disappearing rather than ending up on the bottom fairly close by.

I realize that if one is properly weighted/adjusted for neutral buoyancy and then simply passes out you could be carried a long way.

On the other hand if you are struggling either with a downdraft, vertigo or whatever I would think that you might add more air and make sure you made it to the top (if you are about to pass out for instance) or you might get negative for stability on the hard bottom to try to recover from vertigo.

In either event, you would remain in the area. I can imagine that an immediate search (since it's open ocean) would be more fruitful than after a protracted period.

I'm not questioning what was actually done. I'm just wondering what the circumstances were.

Peter, I'm so sorry for your loss. Like many here I never knew her but knew who she was, I've come across her posts over the years. I do remember when she was new here, I think a new diver & quickly embraced the tech path. Or so was my impression.

As for medical events, well, I can think of some that could account for this. Some things just don't give any warnings or advanced symptoms, no one has any reason to suspect anything, but they could debilitate a person so that they are physically unable to do anything. A stroke or aneurysm, for example. By all accounts she had the training, skills & experience to handle the dive, so so it seems that maybe something along these lines may be the cause.

I keep wanting to read that someone found her floating around, waiting for a ride...

I can't answer to an acute medical event but I have experienced vertigo mid water before. It can be very debilitating in the sense that you may lose the ability to maintain depth while using visual cues, which tends to exacerbate the condition. When I feel it oncoming I generally seek a hard bottom to stabilize myself, eyes closed, while letting it pass and also try to move upwards in case it worsens and I have to abort.

I can see a mid water ascent being problematic because there is a conflict - Lynne would strongly wish to maintain buddy contact by reconnecting at the surface but the general method of riding your depth gauge becomes difficult. There is also a strong internal resistance to losing reference and drifting in current in open water. At the same time seeking the bottom means moving downwards which could be counter intuitive. Instead of being able to expand your thought process to problem solve, vertigo can cause a turning inward in an attempt to reduce sensory input, which also causes issues mid water.

If vertigo were Lynne's issue (and that is a big "if") she may have reflexively sought a bottom or tried to make the surface and at that point may have been overwhelmed by symptoms. I would also think a last ditch thought would be to inflate and cork but not necessarily if one inhaled water.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom