Tulum Area Combined Snorkeling and Diving Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey, everybody!

Going to Tulum for a week in early February with a small group. Everyone snorkels but I'm the only diver. Are there any recommendations for combined excursions we could take? Some place the others snorkel and just generally have fun in the water while I can dive for an hour or so at the same site?

Thanks in advance!

A nice day trip for non divers is the Tulum ruins which also has a nice little beach, this will give you most of the day to get some cenote dives in. Also, Tulum itself is nice to walk around, lots of beaches and restaurants but laid back. Cave Heaven is a great op right in Tulum. Very knowledgable and professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have mentioned we've been to Tulum before, it was actually the cenote snorkeling trips we did last year that convinced me to start diving. I'm really looking for a location where all of us can go together, instead of me leaving on an all day diving trip while the others do something else.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

We will be more than glad to help you plan a perfect excursion for you to dive and the others to snorkel! There are some great options for cenotes that keep both divers and snorkeler very happy, including one right by the beach, so you can enjoy both! Check us out at Diving Mexico - Cenotes, Caves, Caverns, Reefs Playa del Carmen Tulum - Blue Life. For more information email Courtney at info@bluelife.com and she will make sure to get you all set up with the perfect trip! Hope to dive with you soon!

Akumal might be great. We snorkled with the turtles there last year. I can't really remember, is the beach there nice? Are there restaurant and bar options near? Just trying to figure out if my friends will have enough to do if I'm gone for a few hours on a boat dive.

Two lovely long beaches, Half Moon Bay and the main beach which has excellent snorkelling just walking in off shore. However, I understand that this year there is a major problem with seaweed -- does anyone know if this is still plaguing the Riviera Maya? The dive boats do one dive at a time, so you can do your surface intervals with your friends. Can't remember the name of the nice little coffee shop beside Akumal Dive Center: ideal rendezvous, though. Very decent restaurant choices within a short walk.

Akumal might be great. We snorkled with the turtles there last year. I can't really remember, is the beach there nice? Are there restaurant and bar options near? Just trying to figure out if my friends will have enough to do if I'm gone for a few hours on a boat dive.

Yes, go to Akumal. Leave your companions to snorkel for turtles while you go for a couple of dives. Beach is nice IMO, and there are plenty of restaurants and bar options near. La Cueva del Pescador or Turtle Bay Cafe, or whatever that big place is right on the beach.

Thanks for the info everybody! Keep it coming. I'm going to start a new thread specifically to keep track of reports of the current seaweed problems.

Seaweed is gone now! :)

We had the same deal with our group when we went in September (mixed divers and non-divers). We went with Nathan @ Glidewater Tulum. He was super accommodating and the two options we had were Dos Ojos & Casa Cenote.
Quite frankly he also has some of the most competitive prices in town - and offers great service.

Casa Cenote is completely open - and at times it gets fun since with the currents coming in from the ocean it can at times become a drift dive. There's so many different nooks and crannies in there that you can dive it several times and take a different route to see different things. There's also sea life in there - which you won't see in other cenotes necessarily. Plus, it's so close to the ocean that you could go reef diving right after and still have your group of friends snorkel around there.

As for Dos Ojos, that's one you just simply have to do!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom