Turks & Caicos- Aggressor or Explorer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTravlin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are planning on going to the Turks and Caicos sometime between mid June and mid July. We're looking at both the Aggressor and Explorer and wonder if anybody has experience with both boats. The Aggressor looks to be about $400 per person more expensive. Is it worth the extra expense? Any other recommendations?

btravlin,
my dive buddy and i went on the explorer this past aug.
there were only 12 other divers on the boat.
we had a very good and safe trip.
have not had the opportunity to stay on the aggressor.
we dove the west caicos and nw point for the week.
do you know what area the aggressor takes her guest?

you know, a couple of years ago someone over on the scubadiving.com website did these two liveaboards back-to-back and wrote a trip report. From what I remember, the diving was exactly the same but there were a few differences in how the boats and crew operated. The only big thing I remember is that one boat picks you up, the other requires you to find your way to the pier (I think that was the Explorer). They didn't make a call as to which one they prefered but it sounded like the Explorer was better... of course, it was a few years ago and crews, etc. may have changed since then. :wink:(And of course, I have aged a few years and may not remember it as well as I think.)

robint

The two boats do virtually the same itinerary. In fact, they are in sight of each other at most times during the week. Both try to spend the week in the West Caicos/French Caye areas. I think the Agressor still docks at the Turtle Cove Marina, which is far more convenient than the South Dock area where the Explorer anchors.

I was on the Caribbean Explorer I last spring in the southern Bahamas. I will say that I was extremely impressed with the quality of the service there. There was a couple on our boat that had tried to go with Explorer Ventures the year before & the boat was not able o go out that trip due to mechanical issues. The company put the passengers up in a 5 star all inclusive resort for 7 days & saw to it that they were at the top of the resort's list to go on all the diving trip available. They were also given a 1/2 off voucher for their next trip with the company. Even though they didn't get to dive as much; to me, in light of the situation, that's the way to treat your customers right. I have nothing but good things to say about Explorer Ventures.

A few years ago, my wife and I spent a week diving with Fifi (Caicos Adventures). We were picked up each morning at our condo and then did two dives aday and the 3 tank day (thurs?).
Every day we could see the Aggressor and the Explorer because they were at West Caicos or French Caye...Sand spit. I have been on liveaboards ie the Cayman Agg., Australias "Diversity" and in PNG the StarDancer and love liveaboard diving. One reason to go on a liveaboard is the ability to dive often with easy access all the time. Another reason is to go to remote areas that day boats don't go to. I felt that we were at the same sites as the liveaboards all week, I'm not sure I would choose a liveaboard in this area other than having two more dives aday than we had from a land-based op., which is a really good reason, and then again I've experienced the same feeling while staying at Little Cayman. Now, if you went to South Caicos, Grand Turk and West Caicos and NorthWest point off Provo on the liveaboard trip there would be no question that a liveaboard would be the way to go!
Good luck in choosing!
File0263.jpg
File0118.jpg

File0265.jpg

I did the T&C Aggressor in June 06 and doing the T&C Explorer in November. I'll let you know how things go. :D

We did the T&C Explorer in October 2006 - my first liveaboard experience - it was great. I have a trip report on this board somewhere. Our neighbor dives a lot but we tend to have very different tastes. For example, he said he would NEVER go back to Cocos Island (he dove with the Aggressor boat and was floating out to sea for an hour). We went in May 07 (dove with Undersea Hunter) and are going back in Nov 07 and Jun 08. He chose the T&C Aggressor, so we chose the T&C Explorer and had a great time. I liked them because they were very safety conscious and being my first liveaboard, that was a big concern of mine.

I've dove on the Explorer and land based with Fifi. I thoroughly enjoyed both, but feel they are very different experiences. The boat ride to West Caicos takes about 45 minutes each way. On a liveaboard you can do 5 dives a day no problem. Land based is 2 dives a day and 3 on Thursdays. That's a big difference.

Do the liveaboard if you want to dive, dive, dive. Land based is a nice balanced vacation with awesome beaches.

During my week on the Explorer, the Aggressor was next to us almost the whole time. The diving will be the same.

btravlin,
my dive buddy and i went on the explorer this past aug.
there were only 12 other divers on the boat.
we had a very good and safe trip.
have not had the opportunity to stay on the aggressor.
we dove the west caicos and nw point for the week.
do you know what area the aggressor takes her guest?

From the sound of things, it looks as if both boats go to many of the same dive sites. Were people on one liveaboard running into groups from the other liveaboard or the land based ops underwater?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom