Turneffe Island Resort? Is 3 weeks to long to stay.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dado

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are considering going to Turneffe Island resort and wondering if 3 weeks would be to long of a stay.
We could get in about 45 dives. I realize that we would dive a lot of the same sites, just wanted to know if the diving there is good enough to spend that much time there.

The longest I have stayed there is two weeks, and I was ready to leave then, though it is a first rate dive/fishing resort, and I did other things as well. I think you might get tired of the diving over three weeks unless you are into bone fishing, taking a day to visit a Mayan ruin on the mainland, taking advantage of the night dives and Blue Hole excursion, relaxing and spending time at the bar and getting massages. Even two weeks of just diving there would be too much for me.

The longest I have stayed there is two weeks, and I was ready to leave then, though it is a first rate dive/fishing resort, and I did other things as well. I think you might get tired of the diving over three weeks unless you are into bone fishing, taking a day to visit a Mayan ruin on the mainland, taking advantage of the night dives and Blue Hole excursion, relaxing and spending time at the bar and getting massages. Even two weeks of just diving there would be too much for me.

Is it that you wouldn't enjoy two weeks of diving anywhere or just found two weeks to be too much there?

Too much there.

If you are staying at TIR, the best diving is on the Blue Hole trip when you do two dives off Half Moon Caye. But, of course that's a once a week trip that costs extra.

The rest of the week the diving is at nearby sites, which IMO are nice dives but not spectacular. They tend to cycle through the same sites one week to the next, so if staying more than one week you are diving the same sites over again.

Of course this is subjective. Maybe my opinion is shaded by the fact that I have been there multiple times and seen it before. The nice thing is that the sites are close to the resort, a short boat ride, so that your surface interval is back at the resort. Also the dive guides are excellent. Service at the resort is excellent. The fishing guides are great also.

Haven't been to that resort. Have dove via live-aboard. There are some general issues to consider, not specific to that resort.

1.) How long can your ears hold out with repetitive diving? I imagine it varies widely. You're talking about roughly 15 dives/week for 3 weeks. Sounds doable.

2.) If you want to do a lot of diving, have you considered shorter, more 'dive dense' options like a live-aboard? Would it make sense to hit the area via live-aboard for a week, maybe aim to get all 26 or so dives in? That leaves 2 weeks for other things. You could spend one on Ambergris Caye, if you want to 'top off' your dive count with a different area, and some beach and land time. You could then spend a week (or skip Ambergris and do two) at Placencia. I've seen posts on Scuba Board talking about Splash Divers, discussing options for people who want to dive (albeit maybe longer boat trips maybe?) and some mainland excursions.

On a cruise ship stop years ago, wife and I did an excursion up the New River to a place whose name means 'Submerged Crocodile,' had a walk in the rain forest and visited 3 Mayan ruins (Mask Temple, Tall Temple and Jaguar Temple - and we were allowed to climb atop the first two). It was a special time and I'm glad we got to way. Ruins in the rain forest looked a lot different from the 'open field' ruins I've seen in photos of some other sites.

Put another way, what do you want to do besides dive?

My husband and I lived in Cozumel for three months at a time and dove every other day. Never got tired of the diving. We did this for two winters. Another place we lived for six weeks was Taveuni, Fiji. Rented a house and did our diving with Taveuni Ocean Sports. They have a nice small resort connected with the dive operation callled Nakia. You would not get tired of the diving there.

I haven't made it to TIR yet, but from everything I know I wouldn't stay there 3 weeks. 1.5 weeks tops, assuming they still do a midweek transfer. If I had 3 weeks in Belize, I would split it between 2 areas, or maybe even 3. TIR, some time inland to do the jungle stuff, and maybe some time on Ambergris, in Placencia area, or whatever area strikes your fancy.

Have you already done a liveaboard there or just not considering that?

Under the current circumstances with covid, haven't considered a liveaboard.
We like the small resorts off the beaten path.
Do you have any suggestions? It's hard to find a place with so many countries still closed.
We were supposed to go Misool but that got canceled.

With the current pandemic, one year wouldn't be too long!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom