TWIC and airline travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga James

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just got back from a weekend in New Orleans visiting my daughter and her husband. My wife booked both of our flights, only gave my full name and DOB. We noticed this morning that my boarding pass (and not hers) was marked TSA pre-screened which would have allowed me to go through a much shorter line at security. I wasn't carrying my TWIC card but have to think that is the reason I got tagged. Gone are the days I travel the skies for a living, I fly once or twice a year these days. Has anyone else noticed this?

I was pre-screened departing out of my local airport but not on the return flight, for whatever reason.

I went on a cruise (carnival) with my dad and brother had my TWIC and was told they could not accept it as a form of ID. A couple months later I dropped some family off at a second port for a carnival cruise as well and security there asked for ID so I decided to try it again and again was told they could not accept it as a form of ID... Not really sure who can use it or why I had to waste $150 on it if no one takes it seriously. I have used it at another local port when delivering vessels alongside a ship to be exported. The security agency had to call a supervisor over before they would even let me exit the port. The supervisor asked if I had a TWIC when they told him I did he asked why they were holding me up.

I went on a cruise (carnival) with my dad and brother had my TWIC and was told they could not accept it as a form of ID. A couple months later I dropped some family off at a second port for a carnival cruise as well and security there asked for ID so I decided to try it again and again was told they could not accept it as a form of ID... Not really sure who can use it or why I had to waste $150 on it if no one takes it seriously. I have used it at another local port when delivering vessels alongside a ship to be exported. The security agency had to call a supervisor over before they would even let me exit the port. The supervisor asked if I had a TWIC when they told him I did he asked why they were holding me up.

I'm thinking the Carnival crews will be all, or mostly, non-US citizens and Mariners, so not accustomed to TWICs nor required to have their own. Port-based security agencies, probably US-staffed, have to have their own TWICS, so they would recognize yours. And cargo ships of whatever flag have gotten used to them since most of their visitors are in the maritime industry and carry TWICs to get into the dock or shoreside facility.

At airports, I've been waved to the "transport worker/plane crew" security line about half the time, if I use the card at initial check-in with boarding pass. It's gotten me onto a couple of departing Houston-Hobby flights I "should" have been too late to catch..

I have used mine for ID for commercial air flights several times with no questions. Going on a RCL short cruise in about a month. I will try it and see what happens.

DHS randomly issue to TSA precheck's on boarding passes as an incentive to get precheck and global entry. They are not selling as many as they thought they would, thus the precheck freebies. Since almost everyone here has jumped through the TWIC hoop, and supposedly it all the same government agency (not), why don't they just add on precheck/global entry for say $20. more. I know that makes too much sense.
I'm heading to Miami in the AM. Will try the TWIC at the crew line at ORD and then in MIA. Will report back how it went.

Regards,

tb

ORD was such a mess before Thanksgiving that they basically pushed everyone through security on Monday 12/1. No taking shoes off, no scanners. At MIA I got a TSA precheck. Will probably get global entry just to speed thing along.

tb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom