Twin PST 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sac11550

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Right now I dive a set of LP 95's as doubles for my long deep dives. Prior to getting into the the Tec side of diving I bought 3 PST 80's. When I first started diving I loved them b/c they were so small and my LDS was able to give me fills at 3400 PSI. Now they are just sitting in my garage. I have been thinking about making them into a set of doubles for when I am not planning a long deco dive, but want to have enough air to stay down in shallow water for a while. What do you all think of making them into doubles? Anyone dive them already as doubles? If I don't make them into doubles I will probably just sell them. Thanks...

I have not nor am I tech diver.....

I have read many posts over the years from divers that tried what you are considering. They found the stout package to be very difficult to trim out.

For a stout diver it may be a proportional rig.

Pete

I haven't tried double HP80's either, but I'm told by several people that due to their sort length, they are hard to trim. LP85's seem to be very popular among people wanting doubles that size. Since you already have the cylinders and seem interested in a set of small doubles, why not try doubling them up, and see how they trim, even if it's just as independant doubles to get an idea?

I have used double PST 80's (aka peanuts). It's nice they are so light but I found them very uncomfortable on my back and I recall trim was weird too. Most importantly, I found them too short to properly place the tank bands such that I could reach the valves. I usually dive with double alum 80's and a neoprene suit. I'm 6', 170 lbs.

You could mount them upside down for easy valve access. I have a buddy in the process of getting this system setup for his PST 80's.

When I buy tanks again, I will get PST 100's.

--Matt

Double HP80s seem very popular with smaller divers. Tall people (and most men), OTOH, will have trim problems, as others have pointed out. But they're GREAT for women (of the non-amazonian variety), younger divers, and generally small people.

I am 6'2" and I have dbl HP80s.

They do not trim out as well longer tanks, but it is doable.

I use them for all of my lightweight deco and rec dives. Much easier to carry than the bigger doubles.

If I only had one set of doubles I would get LP85s or 130s. However, as a second set they are wonderful.

Peter

I had a set of PST LP80s for years. I loved them. They were great for dives when I wanted to stay down a long time without necessarily going deep, and I also used them on beach dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom