Twin Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, that makes perfect sense. I retract my incredulity. I was duped by the ol' "resurrected thread from the dead" ploy!
Yes, we got exactly what so many people ask for.

A newish to the board and fairly inexperienced "wanna try doubles" diver actually uses the search function and discovers an ancient thread. The only surprise there is that someone used the search function without being jumped on first for not using the search function. You can't have it both ways.

Grant, I can't imagine what gear setup you are using that requires so much lift! I dive double 85s or double 100s in Puget Sound, with a 40 lb wing. When I went to Florida and dove cave-filled 95s in fresh water, with a stage and a deco bottle, 60 lbs was more than adequate. Your concern about currents doesn't make a lot of sense to me, at least as far as it impacts wing lift. My wing holds me nicely at the surface, and is small enough that it doesn't impede surface swimming any more than necessary.

From reading one of the posts, it sounds as though you are overweighting yourself so that, when the current comes up, you can crawl on the bottom to get home. I think that's a pretty questionable approach to managing current -- an X-scooter is a better answer! But I suppose that, if you are deliberately carrying 10 or more extra pounds of lead, you might need a larger wing. It does not sound like fun diving to me, though . . .

I agree with you 100%, though, that doubles can be splendid fun in the right circumstances. We did all our Red Sea dives in double 80s, and sometimes spent a half hour swimming back to the boat in the shallows -- great for decompression, and great fun, and we never had any issues with running short on gas! I can't do that in Puget Sound, though, because cold drives me out of the water before gas or deco do.

I view lift like air, can't have too much.

I view kit like air, can't have too much.

stroke_15.jpg

I view kit like air, can't have too much.

stroke_15.jpg

tec1.jpg

You mean like this?? lol!

Peace,
Greg

I am new to the board, and to doubles. I do dive in areas where the current does pick up violently within a short time. So I have used the crawl method to save air. I'm told more lift is good, and 65lbs is barely enough, by an experienced owner of a dive shop. Its his opinion I expressed.

I'm more the hunger gatherer type, so I don't necessarily go diving where its just scenic. Rock Scallops like current, at least the big ones where I go. I'm thinking of hanging up the doubles in current. I can't manage a dpv and getting scallops and spearfishing. I lay low and sneak up.

Twin 72's Unisuit....

Attachments

• 011_11.jpg
    011_11.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 365
Ive used a 50lb wing with twin 12s and 2 x 12l stages and its fine.

Ive also used an OMS 94lb beat of a wing but its dual bladder so just under 50lb per bladder with 3 stages and twin 12s. Its overkill but works.

I cant really see any diving that NEEDS that much lift (nor in fact have i ever seen a wing provide 60lbs or more per bladder). Its easily possible to have too much lift creating air migration, face down on surface with over inflation, increased drag and so on.

I have a Dive Rite Classic Wing with 60 lbs. of lift and that is more than sufficient for my double steel 72s.

Back
Top Bottom