Twins to convert to sidemounts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive the World

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here is a question that may end up being either well placed or extremely silly.

I will be setting up my twin tanks soon.

My question (for future) if I remove the bands and manifolds- can I use the tanks (with the left and right valves) as side-mounts.

It would be comforting to know that I don't have to switch out the valves if I change to side-mount configuration.

Thanks

My question (for future) if I remove the bands and manifolds- can I use the tanks (with the left and right valves) as side-mounts.
Absolutely, in fact that is the preference for many / most SM divers (right / left hand valves).

another 'absolutely'. though sm can be done with two of the same valves without a lot of fuss, having a left and a right is most common.

For sure, as long as you have the plugs for the valves. As said before, left and right valves are preferred.

For sure, as long as you have the plugs for the valves. As said before, left and right valves are preferred.

what do you mean plugs? I will be ordering the valves and manifold tomorrow - will they come with the plugs?!

Thanks for all your responses.

The doubles use the manifold to connect the two obviously. Once you go sidemount you will remove the center section and will have an open hole on the side of each valve. You will put a plug where the connection to the manifold used to be. If you ever go back to doubles you can take the plugs out.

Stano

what do you mean plugs? I will be ordering the valves and manifold tomorrow - will they come with the plugs?!

Thanks for all your responses.
They will not come with the plugs. Consistent with the isolator itself, one plug needs to be right hand threaded and the other plug is left hand threaded, and head of one of them is notched so you can tell them apart.

In the picture below, you want parts 26 and 27 to get both a left and a right hand plug. The valve below is a "standard" modular valve. Just to make life confusing, Thermo would call it a right hand valve as it would be on the right when your tanks are on your back, while Dive Rite would call it a left hand valve as if you were standing in front of your assembled rig and were looking at it. Thus, my preference for "standard" and "non-standard" terminology just so everyone knows what valve knob orientation we're talking about.

There are basically 2 styles of plugs and they differ slightly in thread depth and location of the o-rings so be sure to get the one that will fit your manifold. If you order them with your manifold, you should be good to go and it should only add about $20-$30 to the total cost.

valveipb2.jpg

They will not come with the plugs. Consistent with the isolator itself, one plug needs to be right hand threaded and the other plug is left hand threaded, and head of one of them is notched so you can tell them apart.

In the picture below, you want parts 26 and 27 to get both a left and a right hand plug. The valve below is a "standard" modular valve. Just to make life confusing, Thermo would call it a right hand valve as it would be on the right when your tanks are on your back, while Dive Rite would call it a left hand valve as if you were standing in front of your assembled rig and were looking at it. Thus, my preference for "standard" and "non-standard" terminology just so everyone knows what valve knob orientation we're talking about.

There are basically 2 styles of plugs and they differ slightly in thread depth and location of the o-rings so be sure to get the one that will fit your manifold. If you order them with your manifold, you should be good to go and it should only add about $20-$30 to the total cost.

View attachment 130611

Ditto.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom