Two fatalities in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno. This is his third try in this thread suggesting that this is a buddy system failure.

Pure SPECULATION on my part (and clearly labelled as such) . . . But IF the diver A tank out-of-air and diver B tank with little air scenario earlier reported is correct, it sounds like diver B would have been trying to help diver A who was in trouble. Isn't that what the exact definition of what the buddy system is all about?

It might just me but I have always been under the impression that it is better to get ahead of a problem than to let the situation deteriorate to the point where one has to resort to acts of desperation.

I agree with you totally on this statement but if we're talking about this incident, it appears they weren't ahead of the problem and the questions (IMHO) are what then could they maybe have done to deal with that, not what should they have done differently to avoid the problem in the first place.

- Ken

I
It might just me but I have always been under the impression that it is better to get ahead of a problem than to let the situation deteriorate to the point where one has to resort to acts of desperation.

I completely agree with you, and I bet most people contributing to this thread do as well. But what I think many of us are discussing here, is what could conceivably have happened on this dive, and one possible scenario is that both divers ran dangerously low on air, one went OOA, and then....

So as a result of that, what some of us are discussing is ... what would you do THEN. In other words, theoretically, if you were suddenly in that situation, what would you do? Then, at that moment, not before.

To me, that's one value of reading these threads. Of course there are many. One is to plan your dive, manage your gas, practice air sharing and thereby increase your chances of avoiding such a situation. But the other is to just suspend that for a moment, put yourself into what might have happened this time, and think about what you would do if you were in it (as you also think about what these divers *might* have done as things unfolded).

Again, it's all theoretical, as we don't really know what happened to these divers, and we all hope we would not be in their situation. But I find it useful to not only think about how I would plan a dive to avoid problems; but also to discuss A & I scenarios as if I were in them. Even though we don't know all the facts yet (and may never do), we can learn from what we know did happen (two divers got in trouble in X location, in X waters, and died).

Blue Sparkle

But, Blue Sparkle, one of the discussants here recently started a thread asking whether we should stop teaching air-sharing and CESA altogether, as a way to stop indicating to new divers that running out of air was acceptable. Discussing whether and at what point one should drop weights in an underwater gas emergency is like pondering the arrangement of the deck chairs on the Titanic -- the action that needed to be taken, needed to be taken a long time before.

I do not know, and neither does anyone else at this point, what happened to these two young men. I DO know some of the instructors involved in the group that taught them, and I know beyond a doubt that their education was not rushed or glossed over. But somehow, they still managed to end up underwater without enough gas to survive. I think our time, and the time of our readers, would be better spent speculating on how this could have been prevented, rather than splitting hairs on what the best, last ditch survival strategy in this circumstance would be.

Well, no one "plans" to have an automobile accident, or a ski accident, etc. When an accident does happen, in the real world, choices have to made.

Yeah, I get it. You don't know the difference between say a car accident and divers running out of gas.

I have read one report that one tank was empty while the other had a little air. I have also read that both tanks were empty. I don't know which is true. But I have a small issue with at least one trying to come to the surface when they could. I seem to feel that one would have tried to save oneshelf. Maybe it was not an accident at all???? As have been stated these are rare.

Abodo: Hope such a dive accident never happens to you, or any other diver, and, if it does, all your "planning" works out just fine.

Pure SPECULATION on my part (and clearly labelled as such)

I agree with you totally on this statement but if we're talking about this incident, it appears they weren't ahead of the problem and the questions (IMHO) are what then could they maybe have done to deal with that, not what should they have done differently to avoid the problem in the first place.

- Ken

Maybe I have a selective eye but it seems that we have at least 5 times as many replies discussing the merits of ditching weight vs. gas planning.

If we all agree that the priorities are:
  1. Don't run out of air in the first place. (Duh!!!)
  2. If you do, air-share with buddy (octo, pony, buddy-breathe, etc.)
  3. If that doesn't work or isn't an option, CESA.
  4. If it seems like you won't make it, dump weights (in-hand or not)

Then shouldn't the bulk of the discussion be around #1 and #2?

But, Blue Sparkle, one of the discussants here recently started a thread asking whether we should stop teaching air-sharing and CESA altogether, as a way to stop indicating to new divers that running out of air was acceptable.

Okay, I did not see that thread, so I was only talking about what I was reading in this thread. That's an interesting concept (although it seems there are a number of things that could lead one to want to share air besides poor planning: bad gas in one buddy's tank, or other malfunctions or problems).

Discussing whether and at what point one should drop weights in an underwater gas emergency is like pondering the arrangement of the deck chairs on the Titanic -- the action that needed to be taken, needed to be taken a long time before.

Absolutely. I completely agree with you that sound planning is of the utmost importance, and I sure hope I will not find myself in such an emergency.

I guess maybe I have a different impression of the point of A & I threads? And mine may not be the preferred one - it's only recently that I have enough experience to even *think* about contributing so I'm not an old hand at them. Since this incident was two OW divers in OW, it's something I'm more likely to chime in on than, say, a cave accident.

So, what I thought were valid uses for A & I threads:

1) Discussing what actually happened (as far as we know the facts)

2) Discussing what we think might have happened (using what we do know).

3) Discussing how said event might have been prevented in the first place.

4) Discussing what we might do (or they "could" have done) once we found ourselves in that end situation (regardless of the fact that we plan our dives to avoid such).

To me, all of the above could result in learning something in regards to diving.

I do not know, and neither does anyone else at this point, what happened to these two young men. I DO know some of the instructors involved in the group that taught them, and I know beyond a doubt that their education was not rushed or glossed over.

That would be my public assumption too, until I knew otherwise. I don't believe I have said anything that even intimated that their instruction was poor (?) (In fact, early on -- before we even know there was a fatality for sure -- I read a post in another thread from one of the boys' instructors, and that person sounded like a conscientious, capable sort; so I came into this thread "assuming" that they had had good, solid, instruction).

But somehow, they still managed to end up underwater without enough gas to survive. I think our time, and the time of our readers, would be better spent speculating on how this could have been prevented, rather than splitting hairs on what the best, last ditch survival strategy in this circumstance would be.

Okay, well as I mentioned above, I thought the goals for the A & I thread were broader, as indicated in my four points above. But if they are not, and I'm continuing a discussion improperly, I will certainly stop. I have no desire to "mess up" an SB thread. My apologies if I did.

Blue Sparkle

Last edited:
Abodo: Hope such a dive accident never happens to you, or any other diver, and, if it does, all your "planning" works out just fine.

So instead of elaborating on your points, your preference is drag my personal safety into the discussion in a backhanded manner. Hmm...

May I suggest that in order to contribute constructively to the thread, we stick with elaborating on the merits of our points? And we can no longer do that, then we should recognize that it is time to bow out of the thread.

Blue Sparkle:

Your polite response is spot on and in keeping with this thread.

Yes, talking about prior planning and all that is nice. What actually happens when the sh-t hits the fan is another subject that is, IMO, something worthwhile to discuss. This thread is a good example.

All the drills and skills and pre dive checks are great. The reality is that people often react very differently in a real world situation when something goes wrong and they are no longer on "Plan"

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom