Two-Fish Sumbawa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't be surprised if Indonesia moves towards that direction in the future. The conservatives are definitely gaining momentum and influence.

It has never been easier and cheaper to get decent wine and spirits in Indonesia. I used to have to "maintain relationships" with a "booze guy" and the owners of some Duty Free stores and fortunately those days are long gone. There are big liquor stores in every mall and grocery store. Prices are not cheap but Captain Morgan Rum and Smirnoff vodka are distilled in Bali while one can easily find bottles of Australian and Spanish wine for under $18 US. Granted that wine would be $8 in the US, but the situation is certainly better.

Every year or two the expat and Western media scream about the inevitable Sharia and that they are coming for the Booze... The evidence shows otherwise even if a district in Sumbawa that has just started seeing tourists is dry, I will bet you dollars to donuts that changes sooner than you think.

Getting alcohol in Indonesia is not an issue. I am referring to government becoming more stringent with the alcohol laws and other "vices". One used to be able to buy alcohols in convenient stores in Jakarta and then the government decided to pull that.

Jokowi is a secular guy but his VP Ma'ruf is not. Jokowi had to partner up with him to get the conservative votes, which is gaining fan base everyday.

This news made headline in Asia few weeks back:
Indonesia delays premarital sex ban. What does that mean for Aussie travellers?

Anyway, not looking for a debate or anything here. Just saying that I can definitely sense a swing towards conservative thinking and dogma the past few years in Indonesia.

Great to see all the buzz about this new promotion and the word getting out there! Also great to see how many of our guests are on here (sorry, i'm new to scubaboard)!

To introduce myself, I'm Eric, one of the owners of Kalimaya Dive Resort.

We are working in partnership with Two Fish as a travel agent so as to promote Kalimaya and for them to expand their network and customer offerings in Indonesia!

I would like to clarify that Kalimaya Dive Resort remains an independent business.

You are correct on Alcohol for now! For now it's a 'bring all you wish' policy and we are more than happy to open it for you and our staff are all trained to mix your drinks (no corkage fee of course). We have installed fridges in all the rooms so anything you bring is nice and cold for that evening drink! There is duty free at the domestic departures leaving to Bima! As the first tourism destination in Bima province, we have been working with authorities to update their legal statutes. There should be some good news coming soon, but as always, it takes time!

Again great to see the interest!

Any questions, please feel free: info@kalimayadiveresort.com

Cheers!

Eric.

Anyway, not looking for a debate or anything here. Just saying that I can definitely sense a swing towards conservative thinking and dogma the past few years in Indonesia.

Again, evidence on the ground is quite different. The Australian media LOVED the "No Sex in Bali" headlines like you posted. It was pretty much sensationalistic nonsense, but certainly great clickbait.

We are working in partnership with Two Fish as a travel agent so as to promote Kalimaya and for them to expand their network and customer offerings in Indonesia!

I would like to clarify that Kalimaya Dive Resort remains an independent business.
Hi Eric,
Although we have not met at KDR (was there last year when Tegan & Stu were in charge, also met Michael your co-partner), I wanted to ask you a few questions for my understanding as I misread 2Fish announcements.

So does it mean 2fish only has a distribution partnership without any role into the dive operations? No new guides from Manado and will there be a new management team replacing T&S?
thanks

Again, evidence on the ground is quite different. The Australian media LOVED the "No Sex in Bali" headlines like you posted. It was pretty much sensationalistic nonsense, but certainly great clickbait.
Matt, that is correct: The sentiment on the ground is quite business as usual and people treated it like a farce. However, the fact that is that this is actually making a headline and the government was serious enough to put it out there, it does make one wonder when there is a smoke, there is fire.

Regardless, let's not hi-jack this thread. PM me if you don't agree or want to retort.

Sumbawa is definitely on my bucket list to dive in Indonesia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom