Two Harbors Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N2films

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got back from diving Bird & Ships Rock on Catalina Island. Viz was about 30-40 Feet. Water Temp around was 57 at the Surface. 52 at 80 Feet. Tons of Bugs. The Dive shops compressor was down but the Store and Bar had Limited service. I was told there Power would be out for at least 2 weeks. They had portable Gennies to help out there Power needs. The Dive Shops compressor might be out for few days so make sure you Bring extra Tanks. All in all Two Harbors was really spared by the Fire. It was good to see that everybody was pitching in to get back on track. I'm new to this forum. So I help this message helps any body who had second guesses about heading over there. Don't stop your trip. It was a great day of diving.

Sean H-

PS-
I have a 38SS Carver. I'm always looking for some new dive buddies.

Water temps really ropped off! We were there a week ago on May 5th, and water was 61°f on the surface, and about 58°f at 85 feet! Must be all that cold water the helicopters and planes dropped!

What is a 38SS Carver?

SoCalMike:
Water temps really ropped off! We were there a week ago on May 5th, and water was 61°f on the surface, and about 58°f at 85 feet! Must be all that cold water the helicopters and planes dropped!

What is a 38SS Carver?

I think it's one of these:
http://www.carveryachts.com/38supersport.aspx

If it is, I don't think you're going to lack for dive buddies! :D

We had what appears to have been an upwelling like event last week and temps really dropped in many areas of Catalina.

N2films... Thanks for the report. I haven't been out that way since the fire started. SCUBA Luv's owners have had a lot on their plate since Bob is our mayor and a volunteer fire fighter. Hopefully we will get out this week, or certainly this weekend.

Thanx Dr Bill,

A couple of my Friends who were divng over the weekend noticed the drop off in Temps as well. Socal Mike responed to my thread by saying the water was a much warmer a week earller. Upwelling of Currents are Pretty normal for this time of the Year. So I was told.

Scientists used to say we didn't have true (classic) upwelling off Catalina's coast. Undoubtedly few of them were divers! Although the causes of the vertical movement of cold water may differ from the classic scenario, the effect is the same: cold, nutrient rich water coming near the surface where it, combined with the sunlight, create plankton blooms!

Soooo, the natural question is, when does the "downwelling" of current happen? Meaning, when will it go from 60 to 70???

I know, wishfull thinking!

N2films:
PS-
I have a 38SS Carver. I'm always looking for some new dive buddies.

Well my dive buddy is geting ready to leave for Europe for 49 days, so let me know if you wanna hit up Catalina on a Sat. I would rather pay you then spend the money on a charter boat. Message me, or send me an email to let me know.

Mike

:D
Hi N2films,

Like Surly says with a boat like that you definitely will not lack dive buddies. With that you can put me on the list also.

John

Back
Top Bottom