Two pairs of swap meet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Found these Voit Viking A6's for $3. Rubber in very good condition. It is interesting to note the reenforcment (Buttressing on side from fin tip to heel). They are mediums. Anyone know the era?

Picture2001-8.jpg

These Scubapros are youth size (0-1). All they say is SCUBAPRO across the instep, size on back of fin and the S's in pattern across the heel. Rubber is also in excellant condition. $2. Again, any help with the era?

Picture2004-3.jpg

Scubapro's all-rubber full-foot fins have been around since at least the early 1970s. I have a 1972 Scubapro catalogue featuring the fins and they look exactly like this picture from Scubapro's site:
d7905748-ef9a-45e9-8bd0-6fc635ef3fb8-scubapro_fins_full_foot.png

I have a pair of these fins sized 12-14 and the only difference is the inclusion of the word "Floating", which can be seen in the image below:
!BkvV2lQB2k~$(KGrHqYH-CQEtcklHQz,BLYy8H2mzg~~_3.jpg
The fins remain in the snorkelling section of Scubapro's website at
http://www.scubapro.com/americas/english/scubapro-products/snorkelpro/fins/rubber-full-foot-fins
Until now, I hadn't seen a version without the circular logo and with the word "Scubapro" embossed just above the toe opening.

Thanks David, don't ask me why but I never thought to just google the Scubapro site. I've been surfing all the vintage sites instead :dork2:
I've seen the Scubapro in a circle before but not just the word as in my fins. The search continues...

My brother picked up a weird set of fins for me that I will post a pic of in the next day or two as well.

The Voit Vikings leave a warm feeling in my soul every time I see a pair. They are what I had as a youth (early 1970s), and what I took to Hawaii with me the times I vacationed there with my family. Lots of snorkeling around the reefs in them. I don't know how many miles I put on my pair at the time, but seeing them brings back a lot of pleasant memories. Congratulations, and thankyou for sharing.

I had a pair of the Voits when I was eight years old. I got them with a snorkeling outfit I bought using S&H Green Stamps. They were my first fins and I thought they were terrific.

Here is another pair of fins. I don't know if they are vintage or not and wouldn't give them a second look normally (they look like cheap Asian knockoffs) except that they say made in the USA. Anyone know what manufacturer or era? I can't find anything on the net. Notice the odd reenforcement around the heel.

Picture2011.jpg

Picture2009-1.jpg

Picture2010-1.jpg

As well, a couple of masks. The first is a Coral, made in Japan (with a little coral emblem on the nose) but the oval mask says "Professional" across the brow and "International Divers, Montreal" under the nose. Was there a Canadian mask manufacturer? The metal rim is banged up but the rubber is quite good and I bet it would still keep the water out - not that I need to try it mind you, but still...

Picture2001-9.jpg

Picture2007-2.jpg

I'm sure I've seen those fins before, perhaps on eBay. I've just visited the Skin Diving History site at
Skin Diving History Vintage Fins
and the Riviera white fins there caught my eye. I have a feeling that the manufacturer of those open-heel fins also made your fins. The name "Auburn Rubber" also comes to mind, a company known for its production of rubber toy models in its day. I'm only relying on my memory, however, so I might well be very wrong! Having researched extensively online, I can confirm that the fins are extremely unlikely to be in production, whether in the USA or elsewhere. It's likely that the fins are indeed vintage, but it's more of a hunch than real evidence.

Thank you David. I don't know about the fins but by following your link I found this about the oval mask: Skin Diving History - International Divers Corp - Mfg & Retailers

A while ago, before the vintage bug really bit, I had a chance to pick up a pair of old Churchills at a flea market for about $2 but I passed because one of the heel straps was torn. I'm still kicking myself over that one.

Here is another oval mask I picked up recently. $4. The rubber is very good and I could easily wear it snorkelling this summer. It has no nose pockets. Across the brow it says:

Made in France
Jopen - Marseilles
MATCH

Picture2002-1.jpg

This snorkel says "Whites Water Wear" across the orange reflective tape. $1.

Picture2003.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom