Two weeks from Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Illumita

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone! I have the opportunity to fly into Bali for two weeks, from mid to late-May. Anybody have suggestions on how to best use my time, with a pretty small budget? I think I'd like to get away to the remote areas like Raja Ampat, etc. I'm a single woman traveling alone and don't mind low budget, but I'd like stay relatively safe. Would like to spend my time diving and relaxing. I know this is kind of vague but I'm asking for some help brain storming, so that I have a jumping off point to start research. Thanks all!

Yeah, it is rather vague, and you don't say what you consider a small budget but here are some ideas:
• Komodo budget liveaboard for a week + northeastern Bali (Tulamben)
• Raja Ampat liveaboard--would have to check to be sure, but most boats begin their season there in June/July rather than May
• Land-based in the Manado area (Lembeh/Bunaken half and half)
• Liveaboard in the Manado area (Lembeh/Bunaken/Bangka)
• Timor land-based shore diving (no longer Indonesia, but way off the beaten path :thumbs_up: )

Thanks, Quero! This is exactly what I'm looking for - loose suggestions that I can then research further. My budget is about $1500 but I can be flexible if there's something fantastic. I'd like to get in about 15-20 dives for that period, and would like to see bigger animals if possible. Oh, and I have my own equipment and about 80 dives under my belt. Thanks again! :wink:

With that budget scenario, I'd say do a low-cost liveaboard at Komodo and spend the rest of the time on Bali. Otherwise domestic airfare is going to eat away at your budget. Even so, you'll spend about 75% of that budget just on the liveaboard and getting to/from Labauan Bajo to catch it. For the rest of the time on Bali, you can go stay up at Ubud and soak in the culture rather than diving, since your funds may not allow for both a Komodo liveaboard and Tulamben diving/lodging/meals/tips for another several days.

Great! Can you recommend liveaboard ops to Komodo, as well as Raja Ampat? Just to clarify, I'm in between semesters at grad school, and I happen to have enough miles to get to Bali, so I could potentially go in June/ July instead...

I can help with Komodo, but I'm afraid R4 is going to be out of your league moneywise, even on a budget boat. Feel free to PM me.

Hello,

I am in a similar position...solo female...late 30's student on a similar budget (more than a barebones backpacker, less than an income-generating yuppie).

I'm currently in the Philippines and considering going to Indonesia to continue diving. I've already been to Lembeh, Bunaken, and Pulau Weh (North Sumatra).

Am seriously considering a Komodo liveaboard. Maybe Ambon or Raja Ampat if feasible.

What Komodo liveaboards do you recommend? Also, do you know of any last-minute specials to fill the boat? I'm looking to go sometime in May (very flexible on dates).

Also, what's the best way to get there? I haven't had good luck finding an airline with online ticketing that flies into Labuan Bajo (Lion Air, Batavia do not fly there). Merpati appears to fly there - but has a 15 kilo baggage limit.

Thanks!!

ScubaKay, when you book a Komodo liveaboard the operator generally facilitates the air from Denpasar to Labuan Bajo and folds the fare into your payment. So that part is easy. Not sure what happens in terms of weight restrictions, though on baggage. We would have to ask the operator if we can purchase a "sports gear" add on (most budget airlines in the regions do offer this as a flat fee).

Anyway, same offer to you, feel free to PM me regarding dates and prices. I won't publicly recommend any specific boat/operator, but I work with several, so there's a pretty good chance I can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
ScubaKay, when you book a Komodo liveaboard the operator generally facilitates the air from Denpasar to Labuan Bajo and folds the fare into your payment. So that part is easy. Not sure what happens in terms of weight restrictions, though on baggage. We would have to ask the operator if we can purchase a "sports gear" add on (most budget airlines in the regions do offer this as a flat fee).

Anyway, same offer to you, feel free to PM me regarding dates and prices. I won't publicly recommend any specific boat/operator, but I work with several, so there's a pretty good chance I can help.

Hi

Can you also PM me with the same info as I'm in the same situation.

Many thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom