TX Flower Gardens - Labor Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Spree, huh? I guess their back from the the Dry Tortugas?!
As long as the Spree & the Fling are both going out, I'd better pay attention to come back up on the right boat. I've always thought they should paint FLING and SPREE on the bottom of the boats for that very reason! ha ha!

I'd love to go, but if I went out on the Fling twice in two weeks, my wife would have all my stuff piled in the yard when I got back.

Ya'll have fun. My trip is July 20.

The Spree, huh? I guess their back from the the Dry Tortugas?!
As long as the Spree & the Fling are both going out, I'd better pay attention to come back up on the right boat. I've always thought they should paint FLING and SPREE on the bottom of the boats for that very reason! ha ha!

Not good for the tripleader to ride the Dinghy of Shame. Not good at all. :no

There are subtle differences. I think one has rounded ladder bottoms, one they're straighter, and I think one is painted aqua blue vs. white but you can't see the color difference against the water until you're already pretty much committed anyway.

Guba, there's a whole lot more than 2 weeks between July 20th and August 29th!! Git yer ass on the boat. I've yakked with ya a here a time or four but we've not met yet. Just got my housing back from Ikelite for its servicing, so will be stoked for some serious picture taking this trip.

They need to tie a tag at the mooring point that says Spree or Fling. I'll be out there that weekend on the Spree. Our "clubs" had it filled last November. BTW, we don't consider anyone to be "outsiders". We are all divers, whether you drink beer and play poker past midnight or have a glass of milk and hit the bunk by 9.

I just got back last night from the Fling. We had 1-2 footers most of the time (often less, it was very pleasant), and great viz on all sites. No current on the FG banks, mild on the rig, and rippin' at Stetson but very mild the bottom 10 feet. It just meant your descent/ascent is strictly by the ropes at all times. Nobody got away and had to be chased down. Not much big stuff on this trip but still lots of beautiful stuff.

Hi, All.

My girlfriend and I are looking to book a trip to the FGB for Labor day. I was hoping someone could help me understand the difference between the Spree and the Fling. It seems they are the same make of boat and are owned and operated by the same group. However, they have different booking options, fees, and amenities.

The Spree has a much better and useful website for booking and information. Most of the trips can be booked online and you can easily see if there are seats available. Nitrox is included with the trip cost.

The usability of the Fling website is limited and not put together well. No dynamic info about trips, availaiblity, price etc. Nitrox is extra.

Does anyone know why the split personailty for these two boats? Are there any difference in the boats themselves or onboard amenities?

Thanks!

Hi, All.

My girlfriend and I are looking to book a trip to the FGB for Labor day. I was hoping someone could help me understand the difference between the Spree and the Fling. It seems they are the same make of boat and are owned and operated by the same group. However, they have different booking options, fees, and amenities.

The Spree has a much better and useful website for booking and information. Most of the trips can be booked online and you can easily see if there are seats available. Nitrox is included with the trip cost.

The usability of the Fling website is limited and not put together well. No dynamic info about trips, availaiblity, price etc. Nitrox is extra.

Does anyone know why the split personailty for these two boats? Are there any difference in the boats themselves or onboard amenities?

Thanks!

I am Frank (or the Wookie), president of Gulf Diving, LLC and the owner of the Spree. About 4 years ago I noticed that the number of divers visiting the Flower Gardens had been dropping, and running a boat with 34 passengers was physically wearing on me and my crew. I also wanted to run sport trips in the Dry Tortugas of Florida, and the reefs are not big enough to support 34 divers, nor do any random 34 strangers get along for 4 or 5 days, the length of the trips in Florida. Additionally, I wanted to make it easy to book, easy to find the boat, and easy to dive from. Unfortunately, we still needed to generate the revenue that 34 divers generate, so when we chopped 10 divers off the Spree, we had to raise the price accordingly.

To offset some of the pain of the higher price, we include nitrox in the price of the trip. We offer some more amenities such as a wet head on the dive deck (wetsuits are not allowed in either boat ever), gear rinse tanks, mostly unlimited fresh water use (the watermaker only makes 600 gallons per day), and some other creature comforts that I feel make the boat a good value. Some divers (AWAP comes to mind) love the Fling for its reduced price and same destination (Flower Gardens), and he is only there for the diving. I hated to lose him as a customer, but completely understand his reasoning. He can go an extra time each year for the cost savings on the Fling. I have tried to offset that by offering a frequent diver program that gets you a free trip with 5 purchased.

In any case, we are trying to offer a different product for different budgets. My partners that own the Fling have a tried and true system. I think that the diving population is changing, especially that they are getting older, and comfort level is more important than price to the customers I am trying to attract. Many of my customers don't want to deal with a dive shop, they just want to slap down a credit card and book. We are trying to cater to them.

We will officially announce very soon that this is our last season in the Flower Gardens. The diving in the Flower Gardens is outstanding, and I will miss it horribly. The diving in the Dry Tortugas is excellent, although visibility can suffer with the water coming out of Florida Bay (100 feet is a great day, 60 feet is normal), but the weather is far more conducive to great diving, the big fish are better, the corals are as healthy, anthough the density is not as high, and there are shipwrecks to dive. The technical diving here (in Florida) rocks!!

If you have any specific questions, you are welcome to e-mail me at spree@spreeexpeditions.com. OBTW, the labor day trip on the Spree is full (i think. Zendiving has a few to add to fill the roster). Scubaland Adventures in Austin still has spots on the Fling.

Frank

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply.

Wow! Your last year! We've been checking info on your site now for about a year and planning a trip there. Will this be the final year for the Spree and the Fling in FGB? Or just the Spree?

The site shows there are 6 seats open on the Spree for Labor Day, and we had planned to buy them tomorrow. That's a bummer!

Does the Fling go for the coral spawn also? There was no info on the site about any planned trips. Of course, the Spree has been booked for sometime. Drats!

We're planning to go to FL next year for some diving. We'll look you up there!

Netdiver:

I was all ready to get on and say aside from some interior arrangements, the added wet head, the headcount, and the crew personalities (both good, just different) the two boats were the same. But then Frank got on and blew my brains out with the notice they're leaving the FGNMS for good.

I can only hope this isn't a sign that FG diving itself is dying, or dropping down to just dayboats. With fuel costing what it does, and the direction airline traveling is going, IMO present trends should get more people to dive locally. Of course Florida counts as 'local' too, vs. outside the US, but just a bit less 'local' for me personally, since Freeport is only a 5 hr drive.

In any event, NetDiver, the websites are different - Spree's is more modernized, and their new web arrangement is a little nicer about showing their current availability count from the shops selling the seats, but it's not always up to date (e.g. Zendiving has been showing openings forever yet if you go to their forums they say the trip's been sold out for like a year) depending on how well the group/shop keeps the data going to Gulf-Diving. Fling's site makes you link to the shops directly, but it's really not that big a pain. You interested in paying them for good web presence, or diving? :wink:

I personally have been on both and have had zero complaints in either case. Captains are top notch, DM staff is efficient, courteous, and entertaining, galley always aims ta please, and diving is spectacular from either. Cabins are pretty much identical: just bunks with a little storage space below...you won't spend much time belowdecks and awake on either one. I will admit the Spree's wet head enclosed shower on the dive deck is a big plus though - my wife really liked it. But being the baldy I am the outside deck shower worked fine by me. If you're still after a trip go ahead and give Scubaland a call (no, I'm not associated with the shop, but if the trip is underbooked to the point they don't go, I'd be really pissed, so there's the extent of my financial motivation. :wink: )

Frank: guess you won't need me to crunch those weather stats after all? Ah well, I'll just have to find a way to come visit y'all in Floriduh next season....

RTR, Frank says it is his last season but I'm hoping he gets homesick after a few years and changes his mind.

But I am very concerned about the future of FG diving. I was on the Fling a few days ago and the trip barely made at the last minute with 20 people. They are barely making any money at that, certainly not enough to make up for the bad times. This was mid summer with a great weather forecast and the Spree away in Florida. This is the time of year they need to be running full. Fuel costs are killing these guys like it's killing all of us. They are caught between a rock and a hard place. Eat the higher fuel costs and they lose all their profit. Tack on a fuel surcharge and they lose customers. It's really the same story with every other business but people have no choice but to pay their higher electric bills or higher grocery bills. Diving is a discretionary activity though.

Something is going to have to bend. Fuel prices are going to have to drop or the boats are going to have to find a way to be more efficient. I'm not sure how as they already run a tight ship. The economy looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better. As much as I hate to see him go, Frank is probably getting out just in the nick of time. I'll be relieved when I see him actually bring the boat back for *this* season.

The Spree Labor Day trip will not leave with empty bunks. A few ZD members may not have manifested or paid all deposits yet but CHUM has 5 on the wait list.

Something is going to have to bend. Fuel prices are going to have to drop or the boats are going to have to find a way to be more efficient. I'm not sure how as they already run a tight ship. The economy looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better. As much as I hate to see him go, Frank is probably getting out just in the nick of time. I'll be relieved when I see him actually bring the boat back for *this* season.

The Spree Labor Day trip will not leave with empty bunks. A few ZD members may not have manifested or paid all deposits yet but CHUM has 5 on the wait list.

It is truly a sad thing, I am sick about it, and I will be back for this season, but in this day of belt tightening, I can run a week in the Dy Tortugas for a third of the fuel as in the FG. The Fling's fuel bill in Texas is $12,000/week, mine in the DT is $4,500. As I have said, the diving here is certainly as good, but different. 200 foot + days of visibility just don't happen, and I havent found a good source of pelagics (without baiting), but I am still looking. If I were allowed to bait in Florida, we would be covered up with lemon sharks, as we were last week on Riley's Hump. The fish life is as good or better, it is still at the end of the road, and Havana is only 90 miles away when we will finally be allowed to go there. Look at the Spree bookings for the rest of the year. Labor day is full, Coral Spawn is full (it spawns in Florida too, on the same nights), everything else is around half full. Cudos to the guys from Scubatoys for making the most of their trip. Cudos also to Chum for pulling their trip in the DT out of the fire.

The dive industry is changing almost faster than we can respond. Gone are the days when divers would call their shops for a spot to the FG and 3 boats would run full. No where else could 3 major livaboards carrying a total of 84 passengers dive in a 17 acre reserve and run full every weekend. The clubs and internet groups still fill their spots, and independent travelers fill the rest, but in these days of easy access on the internet for dive equipment, travel, training (let's not go there), etc., dive shops are becoming (or are being made) redundant. Heck, with fire departments surplusing their old compressors and buying new ones with Homeland Security grants, anyone can have a reasonably priced fill station in their garage. Offering something unique is the name of the game in todays market. My LDS in Houston offers turn-key customer service. Give them your credit card number, and you are booked, told when to show up at the airport, given a t-shirt, put on a boat to wherever, all of the local staff are dealt with and tipped, get back on a plane, they'll even rinse and store your gear for the next outing. All of that cost money, but the folks that have it are willing to pay for it. The shops that sell you a $250 open water cert, make you buy their mask, snerk, and finsels, and won't let you in the class if you are using uncle Paul's old gear are not going to do well in the upcoming economy. Although there are 2 other livaboards that run regularly in the DT, they cater mostly (although not exclusively) to spearfishermen. We will continue to not fish from the Spree.

I am truly trying to anticipate the future and roll with it as best I can. In 190 days in Florida in May, June, and July since 1999, I have been blown out 4 days for weather. I can hardly count the days blown out in the western Gulf during those same months. I've always said, if I can run full 6 months out of the year, I can drop the prices back to 2002 levels. I'm giving it a try.

Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom