Tylenol or Advil before a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samsumon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I seem to be getting some headaches either after or maybe a bit during my dives. Is it ok to take 2 maybe 30 min before my dive to prevent? I think its just my body getting used to the dives.

There is nothing wrong with the meds, but there may be a simpler solution.

There is a chance your headaches are caused by the way you breathe. If you are accumulating CO2 in your system, it can cause headaches. Make sure you use a continuous, slow breathing pattern, with good exhalation that rids you of CO2 buildup.

I noticed that im prone to getting it on the way down..could it be that Im going down to fast?

Do you descend head first, workout before a dive or dig holes during?

I noticed that im prone to getting it on the way down..could it be that Im going down to fast?
Before you added this tidbit of info, I would have guessed, as boulderjohn did, that your headaches were caused by CO2 retention. This happens often to novice divers who are skip-breathing. In fact, it's possible that you're experiencing a couple of different "types" of headaches.

You could have been experiencing a sinus squeeze. This occurs due to sinus congestion and may not be noticeable at the surface. If this is the case, you might want to try a decongestant. A Neti-pot saline rinse can be helpful in this regard. Phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine, or oxymetazoline (Afrin) might also help. If the sinus congestion is caused by allergies, deal with the allergies. An antihistamine might be appropriate. There are other prescription meds that a physician could prescribe for you if OTC drugs are not effective.

When descending in cold water through a thermocline, it's also possible for the cold water to give the diver an "ice cream" headache. Descending slower might help...or getting a thicker/better fitting hood.

Hope this helps...

Well I dont have any sinuses to my knowledge. I have a deviated septum and I do have some allergies but only to dust and such.

So for tomorrow dive,could I try advil and if I still get one then look further into it.?

I use time released Sudafed and Afrin. I had my sinuses scanned. All is well. I have no noticable sinus problem such as an infection causing my headaches. I was also prone to motion sickness before I started using decongestants. May want to try a decongestant a couple of hours before and plenty of water, so properly hydrated.

Also slower on the decent to allow for equalization.

Headache Meds may not work well if blocked sinus. I notice between inner eyebrow and eye the most. I have no noticable symptoms of any sinus problem unless diving or on a plane. I also have allergies.

Make sure you're hydrated too, usually a sign of dehydration is a headache. Diving usually dehydrates you even more due to Immersion Diuresis...

Well I dont have any sinuses to my knowledge. I have a deviated septum and I do have some allergies but only to dust and such.

So for tomorrow dive,could I try advil and if I still get one then look further into it.?
We really don't have enough information to help you. Advil (ibuprofen) may help...but it might not.

Please describe your headache (HA). In particular address the following questions:
- When does the HA occur specifically? (during descent, during ascent, post-dive)
- Where is the pain located? (above one eye, one side of head, back of head)
- How long does the pain last?
- How does the pain feel? (dull/aching, sharp/stabbing, etc.)
- Do you have any associated symptoms? (nausea, dizziness, visual deficits, etc.)
- Does your HA respond to taking Tylenol, Advil, or any other sort of treatment?
- Are you sensitive to light when experiencing the HA?
- Have you ever felt HAs like this before?
- Are you taking any other meds (prescription, OTC, homeopathic, alternative)?
- Do you have any other medical conditions that might be giving you these HAs?
- Is there anything (body position, activity, etc.) that makes the HA worse?
- Are you aware that the air space inside your mask also requires equalization during descent?

We look forward to hearing your responses. Take care.

We really don't have enough information to help you. Advil (ibuprofen) may help...but it might not.

Please describe your headache (HA). In particular address the following questions:
- When does the HA occur specifically? (during descent, during ascent, post-dive)
Latest one,during the decent
- Where is the pain located? (above one eye, one side of head, back of head)
both sides of the head.say temple
- How long does the pain last?
gets lighter when im on a boat then back to heavy under pressure. (once started).Wont go away until I take an advil
- How does the pain feel? (dull/aching, sharp/stabbing, etc.)
Dull to sharp pain
- Do you have any associated symptoms? (nausea, dizziness, visual deficits, etc.)
none
- Does your HA respond to taking Tylenol, Advil, or any other sort of treatment?
normal meds cure it
- Are you sensitive to light when experiencing the HA?
Not light but if I walk into a cold room it gets horrible
- Have you ever felt HAs like this before?
Cant remember
- Are you taking any other meds (prescription, OTC, homeopathic, alternative)?
none
- Do you have any other medical conditions that might be giving you these HAs?
Deviated septum is all i can remember.
- Is there anything (body position, activity, etc.) that makes the HA worse?
none
- Are you aware that the air space inside your mask also requires equalization during descent?
No sir,how do I do that?

We look forward to hearing your responses. Take care.

All answered =-)

Back
Top Bottom