U/W Photography Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjhansman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm headed back to Coz in November :D and would like to get some U/W Photography training. Don't care about certification....just want to learn how to take better pictures.

Can anybody recommend a good (i.e. patient) instructor?

I cannot point you to an instructor, but if you haven't already done so, getting an intro book on UW photography can be very helpful with explaining the issues new photographers face, and they discuss the various types of photgraphic equipment setups from point and shoot to DSLR

Here are a couple of popular titles available at Chapters.

The Beginner's Guide to Underwater Digital Photography by
Larry Gates

Master Guide for Underwater Digital Photography By
Jack Drafahl

When I started out I was given a few pointers that have held true:

perfect your buoyancy
be patient
get close

did I say perfect your buoyancy and get close - very important!

You may also want to check this section on the board: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tips-techniques/

Don't get frustrated - it takes time and practice. Good luck.

Not too many instructors out there specifically set up to teach you photography other than the Padi Underwater Photography Certification.
I have taken a course through Christi at BlueXTsea Diving that was a lot of fun. She sometimes has guest photographers that come in and teach a course. I took one under Christopher Guglielmo which was GREAT!
Christopher Guglielmo
Contact her and ask her what's on their schedule. She might even do some one on one with you.

A lot will also depend on your camera equipment. Are you using a point and shoot camera? Does it have a strobe? Can you shoot in manual? Can you shoot in RAW? etc. etc. That will have a huge effect on the kind of photos you are going to get and what you can do with them later. If you don't have a strobe you are not going to get much color unless you are diving shallower dives, etc.

I have found this web site to be invaluable and is chock full of great information. I would also recommend spending a small amount of money to take the online photo course. Money well spent as you will learn a lot before you get there and won't waste your time learning what you could have already learned at home, such as aperture, shutter speeds, F-stops, exposure, etc.

Underwater_Photography.com Course

If you want to be inspired and to see some great examples of underwater photography try: Wetpixel.com: Underwater Photography and Videography

Also, click on Forums for tons of info. Beautiful photos and although many are shot with DSLRs there are many shot with point and shoot cameras, as well. For true inspiration click on Contests and then Photo of the Week.

I know it's far away, but if you start practicing now, I would highly recommend coming to Cozumel in July 2011 for Bonnie Pelnar's Digital workshop at Scuba Club Cozumel.

Cozumel Digital Underwater Photography Workshop at Scuba Club Cozumel

I have attended two and I have learned a ton from her. Lots of one-on-one time and great after dive lectures. Not only that, the courses are a lot of fun! This is going to be the 10th annual workshop and guaranteed to be a great time. She also usually has many sponsors and you will get a chance to try out new gear (cameras, strobes, lens, etc.).

Feel free to send me a pm. I have a home there and most likely will be there in November. I would be more than happy to give you some pointers and tips. I am still fairly new to underwater photography myself but I have been doing a lot of diving in Cozumel and love to go out with my peeps and a camera!

Let me also recommend this book: Martin Edge's "The Underwater Photographer". He has just come out with the 4th edition.

Amazon.com: The Underwater Photographer, Fourth Edition - Martin Edge

Of course, like others have said, I can not stress enough how perfect you need to be with your buoyancy.
The better the buoyancy, the closer you are going to get to your subject.

Happy diving!

All of the above is valuable information & I'll add another important tip. Know your camera, and how to change settings quickly. When you add a housing that sometimes takes a little more thinking because of the button placement, so practice using the camera in it's housing. One other piece of advice I've learned relates to the need for cheap reading glasses for things close up, which I can't wear while diving, so my options have been to either buy a mask with optical correction like a bi focal lens (which I haven't done because I get by using memory) so if that's applicable learn the order of your menus so that even though you might not be able to read them properly you'll recognize what each page & line relates to. Good underwater photography still relies on several basic photographic rules, and about the most important one is knowing what makes a good exposure, and whether you should be using Av mode, Tv mode or full manual. A lot of people trust the P mode (or auto) but that's not getting the best use of your gear.

I am certed to teach u/w photograpy and if could only give one piece of advice about u/w photography is that when framing a photo try and shoot at a slightly upward angle or at least straight on. If you shoot at downward angle while drifting along the finished image will usually turn out to be one big undicernable mish-mash.

Bonnie Pelnar is an excellent photog and a cool lady. I think her website is: underwatercolors.com

I am certed to teach u/w photograpy and if could only give one piece of advice about u/w photography is that when framing a photo try and shoot at a slightly upward angle or at least straight on. If you shoot at downward angle while drifting along the finished image will usually turn out to be one big undicernable mish-mash.

Bonnie Pelnar is an excellent photog and a cool lady. I think her website is: underwatercolors.com

or just a fish-butt!

Yes, I have a massive collection of fish-butt photos! <sigh>

Agree: Get close and shoot up and don't blow bubbles toward the fish.

Also not advised, wearing monkey hats with big white eyeballs.

We were all wearing these hats on one of the dives during a workshop. (Bonnie is top left and I am top right)

We all got together for this group shot and then went on to take photos during the dive. I couldn't understand why all the fish were "¡Vamos-ing" away from me until I realized they were probably freaking out at the giant monkey face on the top of my head! ahahaha!

Case in point:
mid_639-43D85C6DA83C41A1A5406997A099479C.jpg

Nice hats. The fish thot you were predators?

Good computer editing skills help too...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom