UAE East Coast Temperatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Despite several issues I faced during the week and on the day I managed to dive the Ines yesterday, although I was on the third wave to go down, with my buddy Davey.

The first wave set the shot line on the prop, and did a 120 minute dive ... exactly timed. When they surfaced Davey and I splashed.

On our initial drop to 6m Davey's rebreather was leaking from the loop ... BIG time, so we had to surface and wait for one of the divers in the second wave to surface and sort out the issue that prevented Davey and I submerging.

After 20 mins or so fiddling around all was well and we set off for the second attempt. All went well although I did take it slower than usual as I had a few ear issues around 39m resulting in three separate ascents to 36m before I could resolve the issue, and then followed Davey down.

The wreck which is upside down was visible from 20m, and very clear from 30m, when we were at 40m I spotted a mola mola at the prop/rudder area, it was massive, but before I could switch on my strobes and camera it was already moving away and Davey was already down at 50m moving in on it with his GoPro.

Alas no photos but some of Davey's video here

The top of the hull is covered in soft corals occupied by masses of Anthias.

FUJ_1219Csig_zpsvvjoy2t3.jpg

However nothing else of note today, occasionally I have been told of seahorses in this coral but it would be more of a chance encounter for me on open circuit rather than spending my limited bottom time looking for one.

The visibility was amazing, sometimes the view just overwhelms me and photography takes a back seat.

However I did take a few shots around the prop/rudder area where a large (1m) porcupine puffer fish was hanging around)

FUJ_1223Csig_zpswy9onoay.jpg

FUJ_1229Csig_zpsrrh0purn.jpg

Soon our planned 20 min bottom time was over and we had to head back up with the first stop at 33m, first gas change at 21 and then around 20 mins at 6m before we surfaced.

Lots of small vertical swimming "things" on the 6m stop that looked like small shrimp with no legs, and a lot of jellyfish and slap like things in the water column between 21m and the surface, but more concentrated near the surface.

Davey on deco.

FUJ_1234MCsig_zpsqmghetdq.jpg

Water temperature at 60m was 22C with a comfortable 25C above 21m. I was diving dry.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Well all the talk this weekend was of the small pod of Orca spotted in Musandam near Dibba.

Vids are on Facebook from various people.

Meanwhile I dived in Abu Dhabi at a toasty 27C. Hundreds of Nudibranch in a 100m strip, and a special little seahorse of undetermined species

I'll be up North heading for the tip of the Musandam at the weekend. Expectations for seeing Orca's are low, we have seen the occasional whale though... Am expecting 24C, with the air temps unseasonably warm (or so it feels) I'll be diving wet for the first time this year. Fingers crossed we have no cold currents brrrr

Still in my dry suit and plan to be until May.

Deep Reef was 23C at the bottom and 25C at 6m, so possibly looking at moving to a 5mm + hooded vest soon.

Some issues with other divers on Barracuda's second boat as they crowded round Kerstin when she was photographing a seahorse reducing visibility to less than a meter due to their constant finning, and there was no bloody current. Sometimes I wish I had an UW taser.

This is the seahorse

FUJ_1252MCsig_zps3fmbmrar.jpg

Quite a few sea snakes around too, something I don't mind, they are incredibly inquisitive.

FUJ_1270MCsig_zpsdwgj0ejd.jpg

FUJ_1274MCsig_zps1urrqpgk.jpg

Second dive on three cars was unproductive photographically as I was still shooting wide angle, but the diving was a great stress reliever after a mental week at work.

..................Meanwhile I dived in Abu Dhabi at a toasty 27C. Hundreds of Nudibranch in a 100m strip, and a special little seahorse of undetermined species
Seems like they migrated into the Gulf, two weeks in a row here in Qatar we dived the Perclise wreck, 7th and 14th and seems like the Nudi's were invading the wreck. Also encountered huge school of Queen fish last weekend.
Our water temp here is 21C @ 28 - 30m and 24C round the 6m stop. This week it's been warming up quite a bit, guess coming weekend will be warmer, at 6m anyway.

In The Musandam this weekend, we were graced with spring tides and a 2.2m swing, which made for some sporty action

Temps were generally 24C, 22 if deep. I braved it with a 7mm rather than my DS..

Nice to see numerous Leopard sharks, quite a few large Jenkins whip Stingrays but no Orca's. We did get a visit from a Mola Mola, which is always nice.

Both pictures courtesy of Sandy Chesnut
leopard Shark.jpg

Mola.jpg

Both pictures courtesy of Sandy Chesnut

You know Sandy and Jana? I knew from my times living in the UAE and member of the BSAC club in Dubai. Great people.

You know Sandy and Jana? I knew from my times living in the UAE and member of the BSAC club in Dubai. Great people.
Yup I've know them since 2013. They're leaving DXB this year to rerun to the UK.

I've been running the Musandam trips for DSDC (the BSAC club) for a couple of years now.

It's great as we get to all the places the commercial ops can't take their clients too, as well as having a number of sites and locations that we keep very much to ourselves

If @RainPilot came to dive with us, I'd have to confiscate his GPS and blindfold him :)

I was there from the middle of 2011 to the end of 2013.

I've been running the Musandam trips for DSDC (the BSAC club) for a couple of years now.

Is the DSDC still in business? I got the impression that they don't have their villa anymore (don't know the details)? Do they still have their boats and do dives in the Gulf side?

Back
Top Bottom