Ubud to Tulamben

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigJoshCRNA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can't find the altitude for Ubud, but want to dive in Tulamben then go back to our hotel in Ubud...Will this be safe? Also, how long will this drive take us?

I don't have a clear idea about the altitude of Ubud, I would say something like 300m but with the road from Ubud to Tulamben you can go higher than that. That being said, I did a day trip by car from Tulamben to Ubud and I had plenty of time to visit (something like 1h30 driving). So, in the other way round you should be able to plan two dives in Tulamben (at least). I stayed with Ocean Sun just in Front of the Liberty Ship.

Can't find the altitude for Ubud, but want to dive in Tulamben then go back to our hotel in Ubud...Will this be safe? Also, how long will this drive take us?

Hmmmm. . . have you considered using maps.google.com ?

213m +/- 700'

It's not like you're driving into the mountains. The twists and turns in the road will get to you long before the altitude.

Hi there

i take it that you will have your own transport , and intend driving here and back ? Will you be driving yourselves or have a car ?

It would be far better to spend the night before in Tulamben , then do your two dives , have lunch and drive back. I certainly would not want to drive myself for at least one and a half hours then organise diving do dives and drive back ...the driving in Bali is an experience , so being driven is heaps better than driving yourself. Also at mid day the Liberty wreck will be chock full of day trippers from the south.......diving the wreck very first thing is an amazing experience , seeing the bump heads waking up , some heading out for the day , some coming back in etc etc.

These are just my suggestions , you will have an amazing time whatever way you do it.

best fishes xx

Thanks all...we were planning on hiring a driver to pick us up and take us...I fancy myself a photographer and wanted to scout the countryside to get an idea of where I wanted to shoot, so the travel doesn't bother me.

Thanks for giving me a real life situation to practise the use of the BSAC 88 Altitude Tables.

Using these tables there are 2 scenarios (assuming 1,000 mill bar throughout):
A. Travel via the coast route:

• Start code A/2 (Ubud @ say 300m)
  • Arrive Tulamben on code A/1
  • Complete diving on code G/1 (highest BSAC code)
  • Wait 1 hour (minimum) surface code now D/1
  • Travel to Ubud, arrive on code G/2

B. Travel via mountain route:

• Start code A/2 (Ubud @ say 300m)
  • Move to code C/4 (highest point over 2,000m)
  • Arrive Tulamben on code B/1
  • Complete diving on code G/1 (highest BSAC code)
  • Wait 4 hours (minimum) surface code now B/1
  • Move to code D/4 (highest point over 2,000m)
  • Arrive Ubud on code C/2

If you ended diving at 3pm you can leave Tulamben at 4 in scenario A and 7 in scenario B.

Enjoy your dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom