UK diver dead - Truk Lagoon, Micronesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I think he was on a rebreather from the description...

Devon diver died after plummeting 60 metres to the ocean floor without his breathing apparatus on
An "extremely experienced" diver died on holiday in Micronesia after struggling with his equipment on the surface and plummeting 60 metres to the ocean floor without his breathing apparatus on, an inquest heard.

David Ring, from Totnes, Devon, was part of a group exploring Chuuk, or Truk, Lagoon, which is strewn with the wrecks of hundreds of Second World War planes and ships, when he died on October 13 last year, Plymouth Coroner's Court heard.

The 48-year-old had been staying at the Truk Blue Lagoon Resort when on the third day of their stay his group went to dive the wreck of the San Francisco Maru, a Japanese passenger and cargo ship.

In a statement read to the inquest, Mr Ring's dive buddy David Tobin said they entered the water after the rest of the group and he noticed Mr Ring was having trouble clipping his equipment on.

He said: "I thought he was going to ask me to help clip the second back-up cylinder on ... when I looked back he no longer had the breathing loop in his mouth.

"I then realised he was not moving at all.

"His arms were straight out in a cross shape."

Mr Tobin said Mr Ring began to sink and he descended after him "as quickly as I safely could".

Read more: Police officer suffers life-changing injury in crash

The inquest heard he attracted the attention of dive organiser and instructor Mark Culwick and they found Mr Ring lying on his back on the ocean floor, around 6m from the port side of the wreck.

Mr Tobin said the breathing loop still was not in his mouth and he was "completely motionless".

Giving evidence Mr Culwick told Coroner Ian Arrow that six of the divers including Mr Ring had been using rebreathing equipment, which absorbs carbon dioxide and allows divers to stay underwater longer.

He said of Mr Ring: "I have done 2,500 dives and he had done more than me and he had been deeper too ... I really, really liked him.

"He was an easy, personable guy to get on with."

The inquest heard the group recovered Mr Ring's body and he was taken to hospital where he was formally pronounced dead.

Commenting on what might have happened, Mr Culwick said his opinion, given Mr Ring's "confusion" on the surface and his inability to clip his equipment on, was that he had a "significant medical event or succumbed to carbon dioxide poisoning".

Dr Paul Malcolm, a histopathologist at Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, said he "favoured" the occurrence of a medical event but "can't go further because he has had no post-mortem".

Read more: Totnes Leisure Centre WILL stay open after agreement reached

Fellow diver Mark Robinson, who said he was envious when Mr Ring booked the holiday as Truk was considered a mecca for divers, said his friend was a meticulous, careful and "extremely experienced diver".

"David always had the right attitude to diving," he said.

"His diving decisions were made with his head rather than his heart."

Recording an open conclusion, Mr Arrow said he could not be certain of Mr Ring's precise cause of death.

He said: "It appears to me on the balance of probabilities that he had some medical event that has overtaken him just as he was about to start to dive.

"I gather that from the evidence that he was unable to complete a simple task."

Mr Arrow added: "He died while he was on holiday doing what he loved best ... clearly from what I have heard David really enjoyed his diving and I am so sad that his death occurred at this time."

I thought it was mentioned in another thread that if the loop floods, so does the unit and down you go? I believe it was discussed on the filmmaker thread a few months back.

I know very little about rebreathers. The article mentioned that he may have "succumbed to carbon dioxide poisoning". How often does this scenario happen with re-breathers? What are the biggest causes of rebreather failures?
This is likely not the case here. But in general - Operator error. They are totally unforgiving of mistakes. People go diving with the scrubber empty (yes, this really happens!), they don't change O2 sensors like the should, they decide to take a second dive on that scrubber, they decide that it's ok that there is a "minor issue" like 1 of 3 sensors not calibrating.

This is likely not the case here. But in general - Operator error. They are totally unforgiving of mistakes. People go diving with the scrubber empty (yes, this really happens!), they don't change O2 sensors like the should, they decide to take a second dive on that scrubber, they decide that it's ok that there is a "minor issue" like 1 of 3 sensors not calibrating.
No, CO2 retention and poisoning leading into Hypercapnia is most likely the precipitating cause. The clue here is the account of the victim "struggling" wih his equipment at the surface.

If you cannot eliminate metabolic CO2 fast enough in response to hard physical exertion -whether you are at the surface or 60m deep- then you will spiral down into the vicious cycle of CO2 retention, poisoning and quickly lose consciousness due to hypoxia. Other potential secondary pathophysiology or complication of Hypercapnia is cardiac arrhythmia leading to cardiac arrest.

The only way to break this cycle of CO2 retention is to cease all physical activity causing it, relax and inhale/exhale deeply & full to expel the Carbon Dioxide and try to regain a normal breathing rate.

Last edited:
I know very little about rebreathers. The article mentioned that he may have "succumbed to carbon dioxide poisoning". How often does this scenario happen with re-breathers? What are the biggest causes of rebreather failures?
My understanding is he had not begun his dive and basically fell off the boat. His body was found with the loop out of his mouth but since the loop was not in his mouth when on the boat CO2 is unlikely. There was a suggestion of a medical event.

After reading that report more carefully I am changing my opinion. I know of a diver who jumped off the boat with a rebreather that had failed mushroom valves. He went unconscious due to hypercapnia on the surface and it was only due to an observant dive operator that alerted the guys buddy something was wrong. He was rescued and was taken to hospital. He survived.

The 3 main causes of rebreather accidents are too much CO2 (hypercapnia) Too little O2 (hypoxia) and too much O2 (hyperoxia). We refer to them as the "3 Hs" Most every rebreather accident can be attributed to those things in some way. Yes they are far too common and there is much debate over whether rebreathers are too unforgiving of human error.

Last edited:
After reading that report more carefully I am changing my opinion. I know of a diver who jumped off the boat with a rebreather that had failed mushroom valves. He went unconscious due to hypercapnia on the surface and it was only due to an observant dive operator that alerted the guys buddy something was wrong. He was rescued and was taken to hospital. He survived.

The 3 main causes of rebreather accidents are too much CO2 (hypercapnia) Too little O2 (hypoxia) and too much O2 (hypoxia). We refer to them as the "3 Hs" Most every rebreather accident can be attributed to those things in some way. Yes they are far too common and there is much debate over whether rebreathers are too unforgiving of human error.

Thank you very much!

How about not doing a pre-breathe for at least 5 minutes?

Back
Top Bottom