UK diver wants to see what you see

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapauly

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,
I know I've only posted a few bits and pieces on here, promise to do more soon lol. I've been thinking about somewhere new to go diving. Instead of my usual trips off the the Red Sea (I knowsome of you would love to go there) I'm thinking of heading west instead.
Can anyone recommend good accommodation and dive centres that would be cost effective for flights, etc from the UK.
I've been to Florida a couple of times b4 I learnt to dive and so would quite fancy that. I'm looking for a diving holiday primarily not a sight seeing or theme park trip.
Open to any suggestions because I have no experience of diving in the US at all.
Hope someone can help.

Scubapauly

The Red Sea is going to be tough to compete with. The best diving in the US 48 states is Florida. I think that's about it as far as warm water goes. The Caribbean has many choices but I am not sure how cost effective that is from your location. Are you not interested in the Maldives and closer to them than the US?

Gilligan:
The Red Sea is going to be tough to compete with. The best diving in the US 48 states is Florida. I think that's about it as far as warm water goes. The Caribbean has many choices but I am not sure how cost effective that is from your location. Are you not interested in the Maldives and closer to them than the US?

with Gilligan Florida east coast west is not bad a lot warmer 89 in the summer but more coral on the east coast.
xpat (Yorkshire )
David

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Guess east coast is what I was thinking. Maldives is still pretty expensive from here. But like everything it depends on the time of year.
The Red Sea is really great, it's my favourite place. But some of the reefs now are getting a bit over dived and loosing a lot of colour due to bleaching and damage by divers.
Plus to be honest fancied a change. i love the pics that you guys from the US put on here. It does make me laugh when some of you post pics from an average day out and compare those to a dive in UK waters lol.

Scubapauly

Why not try somewhere off the beaten track in the Red Sea. Jordan is great, and I really want to try going further south, to the Sudan for example. From what I read the reefs there are pristine and the wildlife is second to none.

You might want to have this moved down to the Conch Divers area - I am sure the locals will have suggestions. What time of year were you planning to go?

Not really got a time of year in mind, am lucky that I can kinda go when I want, funds allowing.
I've dived in Malta and so I'm told lanzarote, etc is very similar. Just fancied some nice colourful reefs and fish life.
Have been looking at some more red sea options. Oh and got a brochure for Indonisia, Monado may be an option, not sure yet.

Scubapauly

If you do decide on Florida, on the east coast, you could start in Boynton Beach and work your way as far south as time permits. The diving there is drift, with wrecks, both artificial and natural. You could also check out the springs in Central Florida...there is a lot there, given time and a rental car.

Ulp... we may be less exensive, but don't expect to see anything here as good as the Red Sea (from what I've heard, anyway).

The only Florida experience that will come close is the Keys, and the cost will be reasonable becuase you can do it non-resort style and there are lots of dive-targets within a short drive.

If you do the Keys, you might then also enjoy traveling 2 hours north one day to see what all the shootin' is about over our shore diving in Lauderdale by the Sea (Ft. Lauderdale area), but you'll do that mainly for the good folks and less for the great shore diving - great is relative, and we're a far cry from what you're used to even though we think it's pretty cool. Watch for get-together announcements here on Conch Divers, and if you decide to make this a stop then post the date and we'll organize around it for you.

I might suggest you fly into Fort Lauderdale, dive with us (boat/beach) and then next day drive 2-3 hours south to the Keys to spend the rest of your time there. There are closer airports, of course, but the drive isn't bad as long as you time it appropriately, and that way you'll be able to dive with us at the "shore diving capital of the US."

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom