UK Light Canon Vs. C8 LED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA:
Question: IS the UK "Light Canon" much brighter than the UK C8 LED light?

Went diving last night. I had a UK C8, my buddy had the LED version of the UK C8. The difference was incredible. His looked so much brighter.

i have a UK light cannon. it does feel brighter than the C8 due to the bluish white color. i don't know if it is empirically.

something i'd suggest you think about is how much light do you want ? how much do you need ? sometimes you don't want to light up the place (not very cool to have that parrot fish woken up by blazing light :wink: ), and sometimes you don't really need so much light if you want to experience the serenity of a night dive.

djac5700,

Re: rechargeable batteries in the C8 eLED:

The short answer; if you are going to use the light infrequently (say, once a month or less) then Alkalines are probably your best choice. For frequent use (once a week or more) rechargeables will probably save you money in the long run. If you do go with rechargeables, I would not recommend the UK battery. It is a custom pack made from 2200mA NiCad cells. NiMh batteries in C size are typically more than twice that capacity (4500mA) and will probably cost you less.

Check out www.amondotech.com for good prices on NiMh batteries and smart chargers.

The long answer:
For infrequent use Alkalines may be a more convenient option. One drawback to rechargeables is that they have limited shelf life. If you charge up NiMh or NiCad batteries then put them away for a month you will find that they are depleated when you go to use them. NiMh and NiCad batteries lose from 1% to 5% of their charge a day in storage (depending on temperature, humidity, etc.).

The advantage to rechargeables (besides their obvious rechargeability) is that they have a flatter discharge curve (less voltage drop for more consistant light outptut and color temp) and more current capability. If you try and pull a couple of amps load from an Alkaline its voltage can drop up to 50% (from 1.5v to only 0.75v). NiMh & NiCad rechargeables can typically deliver several amps with little or no voltage drop.

Alkalines actually have more stored power than rechargeables. For example, the Energizer E2 Alkaline has over 9000mA (milliamp) capacity, while most NiMh C cells only have 4500mA (the best are 5000) and NiCads only run around 2200mA. The problem is, under high current demands an Alkaline's voltage drops so much that they often become unuseable before their power is depleted. Alkalines are designed to output only small amounts of power over a very long time and don't do well when the device demands large amounts of power. This is why lower capacity rechargeables last longer in high current demand devices like digital cameras and high power lights.

So how does all this relate to the lights we are talking about?

The UK Light Cannon LC100: The LC uses a short arc metal halide lamp that requires a series of high voltage pulses to "strike" the lamp (start it up). This is kind of like the starter in your car. A weak battery can still run your lights, radio, etc. but can't start your car because the starter requires loads of power. The LC will often fail to strike on partially depleted Alkalines because they can't deliver the required surge current. While nearly depleted rechargeables can still deliver several amps of current for a short time.

The C4 & C8 eLED use electronic reglation to deliver the required power to the LED light engine. Regulation circuits trade voltage for current, so...

The C4 eLED uses 4 batteries for a total of 6v (fresh Alkalines), but the 5W Luxeon LED requires around 7v so the regulation has to boost the power and this means it will actually drow more current than the LED needs.

The C8 eLED uses 8 batteries, so the regulation circuit has to drop power to the LED, and will actually draw less current than the LED needs. This is what makes the C8 eLED a good candidate for Alkalines. In this particular light the current draw is low enough that Alkalines actually perform pretty well.

Sorry this answer got so long and involved. Hope you find some useful info in here.

Aloha, iG

iG - Great response... Exactly the info I was looking for. Very insightful. I'll stick with the alkalines as I don't get to dive once a week(although I wish I could!)

Your answer also potentially explains some problems divers have posted about regarding issues with their light cannons not turning on.

Thanks a lot!

I have a light cannon. Get an eLED. I just fried my module and its a whopping 80 bucks to replace, I can buy an eLED for that much (almost). If you plan to travel at all thats also a consideration. Also, my buddy has the eLED and he's done 15 dives with it and hasn't changed the batteries yet! Each time you change the batteries its another chance to flood your light. Mine had problems from condensation just from the humidity in the Philippine air! The ligth cannon is bright as hell, and also a money pit. After it broke on this last dive trip, I used my Ikelite PCa for the rest of the night dives, and I realized that that thing is not only plenty bright enough, but its smaller size made it much more fun to dive with. why do you need such a bright light underwater anyways? I spent more time looking at the impressive BEAM of light from the LC than I did looking at the actual critters, not to mention that it nearly fried most of them!

It's true that we've not got the UK C8 eLed for less than a HID bulb sells for. The eLed has the same nice white color to it - but it is no where as bright as the HID. So if you want twice the brightness, at twice the price - go HID - otherwise the eLed for under 75 bucks is the way to go...

Am thinking about getting my first dive torch, and was thinking about buying a uk C4 led torch, but after all of this thread is the C8 alot better value for money wise. Need it for UK diving.

I currently carry a Princeton Tec Shockwave II as my primary... How would the eLED 8 compare to that in terms of brightness?

UKdiver1982:
Am thinking about getting my first dive torch, and was thinking about buying a uk C4 led torch, but after all of this thread is the C8 alot better value for money wise. Need it for UK diving.

the c8 would be brighter of course, but the c4 would be better for traveling.

CRDiver:
I currently carry a Princeton Tec Shockwave II as my primary... How would the eLED 8 compare to that in terms of brightness?

It's not so much the brightness - as the color... it's about the same brightness - but very white in comparison.

I looked at both the UK C8 and the E8, the E8 definately is white light, but the C8 looks brighter????.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom