Uncertified divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...Here's my concession on that one.

I WILL NOT take my untrained friends diving even if it is only 15' deep, without the proper training from a certified instructor with some agency.

Like previously mentioned it has a lot to do with the mind set of the person. I first started diving solo in zero visibility golf course ponds at night with no certifications at all. I needed to get the golf balls to pay for the classes to get certified. But I knew I was a good enough swimmer that I could get out of there pretty much regardless of the situation. So I definitely think the right person can get by without being certified but try finding a place to get your air tanks filled. Good Luck!!!

Al Mialkovsky:
Unless you are a trained professional taking any untrained diver scuba diving is totally irresponsible. Same goes for teaching new divers when you aren't trained. In our pool yesterday a guy was showing newer divers how to swim from one sunken tank to another, grabbing a breath of air and then swiming over to the next one. I asked him if he reminded these inexperienced divers to continue exhaling air, he had not. Very dangerous.

Leave it to the pros please.

You're absolutely right. I think howarde should be able to do what he wants though because he's done it before, I think he said, and nothing happened. So he's right and you're right.

A lot of uncertified divers have become great divers, I'm learning.

MikeFerrara:
With dive instruction available on almost every street corner it's possible (not likely but possible) to find good instruction, so that's probably the best way to go. However, basic diving isn't rocket science and enough "bad habits" are taught in most scuba courses to almost negate any advantage if you don't choose your class carefully...and most just pick the cheapest and end up crawling around on the bottom barely able to survive the simplest of dives.

A non-certified diver isn't always some one who ignored the mistakes of those who came before and could easily end up far more educated on the subject than what the average OW class would do for them if they apply themselves.

Diving isn't for most people and diving outside "the establishment" and associated tourist settings is for even fewer.

Thanks alot Mike. Very good points. Thanks for sharing.

howarde:
Ok...Here's my concession on that one.

I WILL NOT take my untrained friends diving even if it is only 15' deep, without the proper training from a certified instructor with some agency.

howarde, do whatever you think is best. I'm sure you will be fine and your friend will be fine too. You have enough dive experience to know what you can and can not do, so listen to yourself.

!!Tyler!!:
Like previously mentioned it has a lot to do with the mind set of the person. I first started diving solo in zero visibility golf course ponds at night with no certifications at all. I needed to get the golf balls to pay for the classes to get certified. But I knew I was a good enough swimmer that I could get out of there pretty much regardless of the situation. So I definitely think the right person can get by without being certified but try finding a place to get your air tanks filled. Good Luck!!!

Well said, tyler. I'll bet you are as good a diver as anyone else that started out differently.

Pilot Fish you are now saying that it is ok for non professionals to "train" new divers. You see this is why I hate threads like this. There is a lot of crappy dangerous advice on this thread.

Just make sure to write in your logbook that you need to hire a divemaster on your next boat dive to stay with you and you alone, that's when that logbook is going to do you the most good.

Al Mialkovsky:
Pilot Fish you are now saying that it is ok for non professionals to "train" new divers. You see this is why I hate threads like this. There is a lot of crappy dangerous advice on this thread.

Just make sure to write in your logbook that you need to hire a divemaster on your next boat dive to stay with you and you alone, that's when that logbook is going to do you the most good.

You are totally correct. I agree with you a 100%. Thank you for sharing your opinions and experience. Since you are an instructor I bow to your superior knowledge on scuba. I'm just learning and glad to be able to learn form divers like you. thanks Al.

pilot fish:
It might be useful if howarde, et al, would agree that getting a safe and sound foundation is the best approach to diving and that diving without any certification is not wise? I'd like to convince him, at the very least, not to take his friend to 15' on scuba. Not a safe thing to do.

Once again you seem to be spending all your time worrying about what other people are doing. "Why are those two divers so far apart?,,,, Why was that lady and her kids on that dive boat?"

I think the important point here is that you like to pose questions, and deride everyone that doesnt agree with your world outlook.

SOMEBODY PLEASE SHUT THIS THING DOWN. THIS THREAD IS JUST BEATING A DEAD HORSE INTO MUSH AT THIS POINT.

fire_diver:
Once again you seem to be spending all your time worrying about what other people are doing. "Why are those two divers so far apart?,,,, Why was that lady and her kids on that dive boat?"

I think the important point here is that you like to pose questions, and deride everyone that doesnt agree with your world outlook.

SOMEBODY PLEASE SHUT THIS THING DOWN. THIS THREAD IS JUST BEATING A DEAD HORSE INTO MUSH AT THIS POINT.

Fire Diver, you are correct, I worry too much about other divers. I see the error in that line of thinking. I hope to be a better diver and learning from this board has helped. I thank you for your insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom