Unconscious ascents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how to ascend in case I had a heart attack or fell unconscious.
How on earth do you ascend when you are unconscious?

Obviously you need to re-take the solo diver course. :D I'm kidding...

The point I was trying to make was that many diving accidents are caused by pre-existing conditions or poor judgement that leaves you incapable of rendering self-help. Its a risk I choose to avoid, most of the time.

That being said, there are times I take the added risk of solo diving but mitigate it with redundant bladders, tanks, and have people on the surface. There are times that I am diving where it would certainly be more dangerous to dive with person X than solo, ie when I'm taking a break from teaching and diving on one of the regular boats.

Obviously you need to re-take the solo diver course. :D I'm kidding...
I am never too proud to learn something new. If there is a way to do that, I sure can't think of it and ergo I want to know the procedure.

Well, hypothetically speaking, if falling unconscious is a real concern, I guess you could rig some sort of "auto inflate dead-mans switch" and if you let up on the button your BCD auto inflates.

Not sure that would be the best course of action but it does answer the question.

Now that you ask:

You tether yourself to a lift bag that deploys on a timer. You will need two bags with separate cartridges that deploy 5 min past your planned bottom time.

Now that you ask:

You tether yourself to a lift bag that deploys on a timer. You will need two bags with separate cartridges that deploy 5 min past your planned bottom time.

Occams razor dude.

My idea trumps yours.

Occams razor dude.

My idea trumps yours.

Cute but it doesn't solve the catastrophic gas or bladder loss problem. Besides, my idea offers redundancy.

I cannot accept the assumption your solution is predicated on (air in the BCD). To make the situation simpler, we could remove one of my lift bags.

Well, hypothetically speaking, if falling unconscious is a real concern, I guess you could rig some sort of "auto inflate dead-mans switch" and if you let up on the button your BCD auto inflates.

Not sure that would be the best course of action but it does answer the question.

Now that you ask:

OK... ask a serious question and get questionable answers. I don't see any of those as plausible or safe.

I think we have a new class though: Rube Goldberg Diving or Introduction to Auto Embolisms

OK... ask a serious question and get questionable answers. I don't see any of those as plausible or safe.

Well what do you expect?

There ARE no plausible methods for a solo unconscious diver to make a safe ascent.

StupidQuestions.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom