Unconscious diver at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caver

Contributor
Reaction score
Just an informal poll on how to ascend with an unconscious diver from depth.
How have you been taught?
1. Approach the diver from behind and put your right arm under their right armpit.

2. Hold onto th diver in a Doe-See-Doe position.

3 Any other method such as grapping onto the tank valve or manifold.

Also, Which agencies advocate which method?

I've been taught several approaches.

For a single tank, approach diver from behind, grab tank between your knees, use his inflator to get to the surface.

For double tanks: approach diver from behind, hook your arm under manifold on both sides, right hand holds reg in diver's mouth, left hand runs his inflator. I found this incredibly difficult with my relatively short arms.

Approach diver from behind. Get above him and as negative as you can. Get his head and manifold in your solar plexus. Right hand stabilizes reg in his mouth; left uses his inflator to get both of you neutral or positive enough to ascend. This one works for me pretty well.

I've also seen an approach where you manage the toxing diver from the side, holding the reg in his mouth and work his inflator, but I haven't done that, and it unnerved me because you really don't have any physical connection to stop him from getting too positive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom