Under Armour as rash gaurds for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could this have been the source of what the OP recalls hearing about?

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_diving_wetsuit_on_standard_spirometry

An item in Undercurrent made this inference from this and another study*: "Be aware: a too-thick or too-tight wetsuit might be a potential pulmonary risk factor in diving, leading to an increased chance of DCI or even pulmonary edema."

* Something by Marabotti C, Prediletto R, Scalzini A, et al. at the Institute of Clinical Physiology. Undercurrent didn't give a full citation to their publication.

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_diving_wetsuit_on_standard_spirometry

An item in Undercurrent made this inference from this and another study*: "Be aware: a too-thick or too-tight wetsuit might be a potential pulmonary risk factor in diving, leading to an increased chance of DCI or even pulmonary edema."

* Something by Marabotti C, Prediletto R, Scalzini A, et al. at the Institute of Clinical Physiology. Undercurrent didn't give a full citation to their publication.
No have no clue what all that means I just heard it about 10 years ago and then again more recently and was wondering if there were any truths to it

That article is talking about tight/think wetsuits inhibiting your breathing. It is not quite the same thing.

That article is talking about tight/think wetsuits inhibiting your breathing. It is not quite the same thing.

That's what I would think, but the Undercurrent article (see quoted sentence) drew some inference about increased risk of DCS and/or IPE from too-tight wetsuits, and it occurred to me that the grapevine of misinformation might trace back to this sort of inference or hypothesis. The OP says he first heard it 10 years ago and then more recently. Maybe this thinking about the body being constricted by tight garments, whether supported by research or earlier, has been around for some time, and it's what might lead someone at the tip of the grapevine to spout off some nonsense about Underarmor--which I would call more "form-fitting" than constrictive--having some undesirable effect. Form-fitting (but highly elastic) Underarmor certainly doesn't have much in common with neoprene wetsuits. I just saw the Undercurrent article and wondered if there might be some (tenuous) link through the grapevine of diver chatter back to that sort of hypothesis about tight garments.

That's what I would think, but the Undercurrent article (see quoted sentence) drew some inference about increased risk of DCS and/or IPE from too-tight wetsuits, and it occurred to me that the grapevine of misinformation might trace back to this sort of inference or hypothesis. The OP says he first heard it 10 years ago and then more recently. Maybe this thinking about the body being constricted by tight garments, whether supported by research or earlier, has been around for some time, and it's what might lead someone at the tip of the grapevine to spout off some nonsense about Underarmor--which I would call more "form-fitting" than constrictive--having some undesirable effect. Form-fitting (but highly elastic) Underarmor certainly doesn't have much in common with neoprene wetsuits. I just saw the Undercurrent article and wondered if there might be some (tenuous) link through the grapevine of diver chatter back to that sort of hypothesis about tight garments.
The human species has a long history of drawing conclusions based upon tenuous links to truly unrelated information.

The human species has a long history of drawing conclusions based upon tenuous links to truly unrelated information.

So, again, I wonder if this may be a case of that. Could the hypothesized link between constrictive garments and DCS and/or IPE be the genesis of this myth about Underarmour? We will never know.

By the way, I just noticed this is the Cave Diving forum. Where are there caves warm enough to dive in a rash guard? I wear Underarmor as a base layer under my drysuit undergarment.

By the way, I just noticed this is the Cave Diving forum. Where are there caves warm enough to dive in a rash guard? I wear Underarmor as a base layer under my drysuit undergarment.
Some people wear a rash guard under their wetsuit. It can make it easier to don/doff.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom