Trip Report Under The Jungle - Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skulmoski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I returned from 4 days of guided cenote cavern diving with Under The Jungle (Xpu-ha, Playa del Carmen) and would like to offer a review. I was a solo traveler and I attended a 3 day conference in Merida following these days of diving.

BOOKING
I found this dive shop from reading Scubaboard.com including a private chat with The Chairman. I contacted Nat Gibb and make a booking for guided cavern diving. I placed a deposit through PayPal and I was on my way to bucket list diving with some of the best.

ACCOMMODATION
I booked into one of their studios at a very reasonable rate (please check their website for costs as I will not include them here). The room had a queen size bed with a dining table for 2. There is a bathroom in the suite with a shower/bathtub. The suite had a single hot plate, microwave and refrigerator. There were pots and pans, cups and glasses, and a coffee maker. I brought a carrot peeler and was surprised to find this utensil in their kit! There is a charcoal BBQ outside and outdoor furniture that I was invited to use. Under the kitchen counter, there was a hand-pump, 20 l bottle of water for drinking and cooking. My booking with Rory was smooth and trouble-free. Rory took me to a large grocery story when I arrived and I purchased enough groceries to sustain me for the diving. I had eggs, juice, fruit and a few other healthy things each morning. Consider bringing a kitchen towel for dishes and other kitchen use. Staying onsite with a 15 minute walk to the beach was perfect for me.

GEAR
I brought my own gear and used a single tank with back plate and wing. My guide dived in back-mounted doubles. I used boots and a 3mm hood with my 5mm wetsuit. I was never cold. I did not bring any reels or spools, nor did I bring a DSMB (safety sausage). I did bring Light Monkey lights.

ARRIVAL
I started my journey in Brisbane, Australia, so I had a long journey, with many connecting flights. I divided my gear among 2 checked and one carry on bag (e.g. one mask and Shearwater dive computer in my carry on bag). I booked a transfer with USA TRANSFERS and never received a confirmation. I did chat online and my booking was confirmed. However, my flight was delayed into Cancun, and my pickup was missed. I found the USA TRANSFER team outside the terminal, and within 5 minutes, I had another ride. Within an hour, I was at Under The Jungle, I checked in, took my gear to my room, and diving equipment to the Equipment Room. Then, Rory took me to pick up groceries.

EQUIPMENT ROOM
Under The Jungle has a nicely designed and functional equipment room to maintain your gear, charge batteries and store gear to dry. It is about 7 meters by 4 meters with work benches on two sides, and drying racks on the other long side. There are gas analysers and I used nitro 32 on all my dives. There is a large tub outside the equipment room to rinse gear.

BRIEFING
The next morning I met my guide - Marcelin - and he gave me a cenote and diving briefing (40 minutes) in their classroom (nice learning environment!). The briefing was on a tablet/TV and we covered topics like cavern geology, safety, procedures, signals, etc. Now it was time to dive!

DIVING
Each day started around 8:30, where I analysed my two cylinders, packed my dive gear into solid plastic crates, and then was driven to the cenote by my guide in his truck. At the Cenote entrance, I would pay around 300-400 pesos to access the cenote. Usually, we were the first or second into the water. There were no crowds since it was low season. The diving began with a safety check.
Day 1 - Dos Ojos, check and fine tune buoyancy, two dives
Day 2 - Le Pit, 2 dives
Day 3 - Ponderosa and Tajma-ha, 1 dive each
Day 4 - Dreamgate, 2 dives
The diving is some of the best I have had despite diving in Thailand, Australia, Egypt, Philippines, UAE and Oman. The water was crystal clear; dare I say, perfect visibility! The diving is better than what you see in the videos and photos. My guide gave me positive feedback and my diving improved over the 8 dives. Thank you Marcelin. (Marcelin and the other instructors/guides, are multilingual so they accept international guests.)

LUNCH
Each day, we stopped at small, family owned and operated, restaurants. I had tacos and a beer each day. I ate everything and after about 5 days in Mexico, I started a dose of Flagyl 500mg for suspected giardiasis. I purchased the Flaglyl 500mg at the pharmacy without a prescription.

THE BEACH
The Playa de Xpu-Ha beach is a 15 minute walk from Under The Jungle. I went there two times after diving to chill on the beach. There were a few people snorkelling and I was told you might see turtles. I instead had a Clamato juice with beer. Each time, there was a band playing and people were dancing on the beach. There is also a beach restaurant (fish and chips, chicken wings, burgers, etc.). The beach closes around sunset.

CONCLUSION
The Under The Jungle team gave me a complete diving experience that was world class. They excelled at guided diving and would conclude that they would also excel at TDI courses. I wish Nat and her team continued success and I recommend Under The Jungle without reservation.

Greg Skulmoski
IMG_0318.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0422.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom