"Undercurrent" and their "Chapbook"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have any comments? Got my copy this week...

I've said before here that I may not renew my subscription, as it is a pricey publication. But I probably will, as it's pretty informative. The postings in the monthly periodical and the annual book are one-sided, as there's no possibility of discussion like we have here, but then = it's an interesting resource.

http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/chapbook.shtml

don

Online membership is much cheaper and you have access to the chapbook.

i know that undercurrent has saved me major $$$ and disappointment. unfortunately, it looks like they lost more than 1,000 subscribers last year.

docmartin:
i know that undercurrent has saved me major $$$ and disappointment. unfortunately, it looks like they lost more than 1,000 subscribers last year.

There is usually nothing new with the "on-line subscription", I check quite often, most of the content is from 1999-2002. I have reported three times about places I've been to since June. I am considering quitting my subscription. The letter is not updated enough period. When you are on the web-site, it states that there are thousands of new reports available for the on-line reader. This is NOT true, there have been few if any new reports that I've seen.
One of my new reports is from a live-a-board off the East coast of Australia, the on-line chapbook reads two reports, that's right, I said two, since 2002, niether one of them are mine, that really gets old, those reports have been there for two years!
If Undercurrent doesn't rectify this situation soon, I will be joining the list of unsubscribing! I expect awhole lot more for the money they have received from me. Just writing this is making me more angry.

Regards,
Caymainac

I got my book yesterday. I just subscribed to Undercurrents this year to check it out, partly because of the chapbook you get as a bonus. I can't say I am at all impressed with it at first glance. First, just in the introduction letter in the front there were two typo errors. (I didn't look specifically so there could be even more.) Second, they have no rating system or any kind of comparisons with locations, so the descriptions are of very little use that I can tell. It appears to me that coming to SB and doing a search on a location will give you the same information - people's opinions, and what they liked and disliked. And you have the advantage of asking questions to those people and maybe having a dialog.

So, all things considered, the book is a place to start, but I certainly won't use it for more than another place to get information. I know I won't use it as a final determinant of where I might go.

And if the magazine doesn't offer anything more than generic information, I won't be keeping that either.

The chapbook was only moderately useful to me. Reviews of places and operators I'd peronally used often bore no resemblance to my own experiences, so it was difficult to place much value in them. Places that provided hand-holding type service got glowing reviews, even tho I know the diving is only average at best.

As mentioned, the lack of editing and numerous typos throughout the book are hard to overlook for something at that cost level.

The publisher does continue to provide me with an endless supply of return address labels, tho...unfortunately, my name is misspelled.

Hey Don, did you start this thread before or after you read all your trip reports in the Chapbook?

Joe

scubajoe:
Hey Don, did you start this thread before or after you read all your trip reports in the Chapbook?

Joe

You know, I really don't know if I've read them all. God knows I talk too much, and all too often say something I wish I hadn't. Did I say/write something wrong? They do edit heavily, sometimes changing meaning, and sometimes have to hold reports back by a full year.

Mostly, I just don't know if it's a good resource or not, and wondered what others though...?

thanks, don

Don,
I'm just messing with you. I asume the reports are what you thought. In my opinion that is what makes the Chapbook worth the money. It is supposed to be opinions. Whether I or any one else agrees with you is not the point.
I wouldn't get on the boats from one of the places you reviewed after what I saw watching from the Aggressor. But from reading the chapbook and opinions on this board I could be wrong. To me that is the value of user reports.
Keep on sending the reports. I'll read them.

Joe

scubajoe:
I wouldn't get on the boats from one of the places you reviewed after what I saw watching from the Aggressor. But from reading the chapbook and opinions on this board I could be wrong. To me that is the value of user reports. Joe

Yeah, my opinion are only that - my personal opinions, based on my one experience and the mood I was in at the time.

But now I want to know? What did you see, please?

thanks, don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom