Undercurrent magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaexplorer

Reaction score
Hello,

Is anyone a subscriber to the diving "consumer-reports" type publication called Undercurrent?

It sounds like it has useful information, but I'm wondering if it is mainly old or dated information which one could already get from discussions here.

Undercurrent publishes reports from around the world from folks who visit and review places, offering their opinions of their first-hand experiences. I find that useful. They also attempt to gather useful tidbits from the diving news and publish them.
I don't always agree with 'em based on my own experience - but on balance I find the pub worth the money.
Rick

I've subscribed for a couple of years, and I find it entertaining and useful. Just one more perspective on trends and safety issues in the diving community.

Your subscription also buys you their annual travel guide, called the Travellin' Diver's Chapbook. It's a huge collection of trip reports from dives all over the world. With a minor exception here and there (to be expected in that sort of publication) it's pretty accurate.

One thing I like about them is that they accept no advertising money, so they're well on the way to being objective. Look them up and give them a call. Very nice folks. When I renewed my subscription recently, they comped me back issues for when it had lapsed. That sort of customer service is to be praised, especially these days.

-Grier

You can get a free sample copy.

I keep saying I'm not going to renew, but I do. Also contribute to their book.

I subscribe as well and like it. I tore through the tons of accident reports, in the hopes of learning every thing that can/will go wrong.

Once I'm certified, I'm sure I'll get even more out of the trip report chapbook, so that's an added bonus.

I think there was a trial, but I'm not 100%. Check it out, and then decide for yourself.

I'm an online subscriber. I think it has great info. on a variety of topics. I read and searched through its material pretty thoroughly in about 2 months. I wish that the new information was more voluminous, but that would be unrealistic. Frankly, I think that an Undercurrent subscription, coupled with participation in this forum is a good balance. Undercurrent has older, but more in-depth articles, while this forum is more timely and dynamic. Sorry-- didn't mean to sound like a commercial!

My father subscribes to it. I see it for exactly 12 seconds when it comes in the mail, and then it gets "filed" away somewhere. From the 12s i get every month, it looks like a very good publication, and a very un-biased source.

Back
Top Bottom