Undersuit change from Pre-compressed Neoprene Drysuit to Trilaminate Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark1982

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to buy a Trilaminate Drysuit (350 TLS) and so I also have to change my drysuit.

I dive every weekend in lakes, even in winter time.
During the bottom time, the water is neraby 5°C - 6°C (42°F) in winter time; in summer time the bottom water could reach the 10°C (50°F).
The total time (run time) of my dives will be approximatively 75 - 90 minutes.

Because the cold perception is a subjective factor, I have to write something more about me...
:wink:

In the last 2 years, I`ve used a 4 mm Pre-Compressed Neoprene Drysuit (Scubapro Everdry 4) with a flecce undersuit (Scubapro Climatec).
This is the standard configuration in summer time (water temperature at 10°C / 50°F).
In winter time (water temperature at 5°C / 41°F), I`ve always had to add a cootton motorbike "tights" on my legs and a warm sweatshirt on my upper body.
So dressed, I`ve made dives with total time of 45 minutes without any problems.

What thickness would have the new undersuit I have to buy?

In the same store where I've bought my drysuit, I could buy (at very good prices) the following undersuits below:
- KALLWEIT SAROS equivalent to a 250 g standard undersuit ;
- KALLWEIT NOVA equivalent to a 500 g standard undersuit .

According to the manufacturer, both of them have got a new concept of "reflection" of heat so that they could keep the diver warm on long span of times without too many grams...
The good price and the great fit for my body are the main reasons because I've decided to choose Kallweit as undersuit brand...

If I buy a 500 g undersuit, maybe I cuold be too warm in summer time when water is at 10°C...
Maybe I would buy a 250 g undersuit, adding thermic underwear (or the fleece drysuit I've alredy got) in winter time...

What do You think about?

Maany thank and sorry for the excessive lenght of my topic...

:)

I dive the Fourth Element Arctic and find myself comfortable in 50° water and will add a light layer for 40° water (if I will be there for long). Cold is very subjective but most people that I know that dive Fourth Element love it even in the cold.

Hi Steve, thank You for Your reply...
What do You think about the Fourth Element HALO 3D ?
:D

Looks nice enough but to me it looks like it might be somewhat restrictive in movement. I have never worn one and am only basing this on 2 minutes of looking at it (so take it for what it is worth). I also like the 4 piece (Shirt, pants, socks) set up versus the one piece because you can mix and match according to your needs and if something gets worn out, you replace a single piece rather than the entire suit. I really like the additional padding on the chest though because I find if I get cold, it is there.

Again, take this post and opinion for what it is worth.

I have a halo 3D, its great for sub 45degree water, i've been really impressed with the incompressible foam they have, and the extra layer of fleece in the normal cold spots.

Buy the 500gm, if it gets to warm in summer just use the Climatec. I have a SP Fjord HD and use a Climatec with thermal undies in 10c water for 90min without issues.

Thank You very much for Your replies!
:wink:

@FWADIVER: I've send You a PM.

If there is someone more who uses a HALO 3D, please PM me...
:D

In the last few days I've made some researches about the several materials used for undersuits...

I've also tried a 400 g Thinsulate Undersuit and I've noticed that it's very stiff: I can't reach very well tank valves...
So I have to choose a warm undersuit, but very flexible at the same time.

Some of my friends have got a Polartec Powestretch 300 and they've told me that it's fantastic in "valve drill" operations.

What could You tell me about the flexibility of HALO 3D compared to a Polartec Powerstretch 300?

And what about changes in lead?

Thanks,
Marco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom