underwater cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh2934

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
does anyone have any opinions on the quality or value for price of different underwater camera brands or models? i can't find any reviews about the intova models that travelsports sells. any opinions or tips about any brands would be appreciated. i live in southern ontario if anyone knows of a sale. i'm ok to spend between 400-600 bucks canadian. thanks.

I would always go for a camera that is a good stand-alone camera that the manufacturer makes an u/w housing for. Don't have to use that housing - though I usually do - as Ikelite make housings for quite a few popular cameras out there. I would avoid cameras made/marketed especially for diving, as the camera is always of lower quality.

For me, I would always choose a camera that can shoot in RAW as every u/w picture needs some post-processing, and it's far easier and more effective if you start with a RAW image.

The one brand I've consistently had most success with, not just in initial design/performance but also in after-sales service, is Canon. Though funnily enough I get underwater results from my 15mp Canon G10 in Canon's underwater housing that are no better than from my 5mp Casio EX-Z55 in their housing. But if the Casio ever breaks it's irrepairable and is junk. That's true of most brands of compact camera. Canon stand by and will repair any camera they make.

You want to go for a camera that takes a proprietary battery. Pretty well all these days have excellent battery life that will last many dives, so you never need to open the housing out on a boat or on a beach somewhere. All the "purpose-made" underwater cameras I have seen, such as the Sea-and-Sea or Sealife ones, use AA batteries that will NOT last a full day's diving.

Remember, when you take a camera underwater it's not a question of whether it will flood, but when. Bear that in mind when you decide how much to spend, but do try to be meticulous and conscientious EVERY time you prep your camera/housing to go underwater.

On this board you will find dozens of recommendations for cameras. The price range you want to pay will limit the cameras that you can buy. You might want to try a SeaLife camera system. However, just the camera and housing will not allow you to capture the color of the fish or reefs without a strobe. I have a Sea&Sea DX-1G and it takes great pictures (check out my photos link for examples). You might be able to buy on off of ebay for the price you are quoting. I will disagree with peterbj7 regarding the battery life. My Sea&Sea camera uses a Lithium Ion battery and will take approximately 500 pics before needing recharging. I have used it on three dives and not changed the battery. I am willing to bet that the s
SeaLife cameras also now us Lithium Ion batteries as well. Here is a link to ebay's current auctions for the DX-1G: sea sea dx-1g items - Get great deals on Cameras Photo, Sporting Goods items on eBay.com!.

Regards,

Bill

My Sea and Sea DX-8000G camera (re-branded Ricoh) has better battery life than my Canon S90, shoots closer macro, and has much more reliable autofocus in macro.

To the OP, I've seen the ads, but never seen an Intova camera, or seen a report here on Scubaboard. A few people use their strobes, which seem okay for cheap strobes. If you can't find good new within your budget, you might want to consider a used setup.

Back
Top Bottom