Underwater communication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
I have a sign for that situation.

I use upturned palms to indicate "I don't get it". Then I point at my temple to say "remember this" and then make a little talking motion by opening and closing my hand in front of my reg to say "tell me later". All together you get

"HUH?", "remember", "tell me later".

If he gives me "OK" then we're done. If not then he's probably already writing it down... :)

R..

My buddy and I got seperated from our "guide". We comenced to have a whole long conversation about should we abort the dive or go on and wich way we should go. It was quite comical now that I look back on it. But I would rather do it that way then have voice communication. I can see how it would be very useful for rescue operations and such tho.

ScubaTwo:
My buddy and I got seperated from our "guide". We comenced to have a whole long conversation about should we abort the dive or go on and wich way we should go. It was quite comical now that I look back on it. But I would rather do it that way then have voice communication. I can see how it would be very useful for rescue operations and such tho.

Yeah. You know you're making progress when you can have these kinds of discussions under water :)

I wouldn't want voice communication either. I like the signing. :) Having said that I have used a voice system a couple of times and they do have their advantages.

R..

I don't think that you are being harsh but you have to realise that people dive for different reasons and when you decide to dive as a couple you make that decision because you want to share whats down there. When you experience something great its amazing to share it with someone and talking is just another way of sharing that excitement.

Personally I don't dive with my partner because I find that I spend the whole time looking after her, or at least worrying about her but hey, everyone to their own.

Coogeeman

ZenSquirrel:
I wish I was better at it. When my buddiy starts making complicated signals at me I usually just nod and make the "ok" symbol. At this stage "ok" no longer means "ok" it means "I understand that you do not have an emergency and I have no freaking clue what you are trying to tell me so just keep swimming, ok?"

:rofl: Good one! I have used that sign (combination of nod and "ok" symbol) a lot myself!

Rob

Apropos of the original discussion, I have used comms a lot, both in Public Safety Diving, and in photo shoot situations. They can be extremely useful to make long and complex communications possible.

I would have to say from a personal stand-point, however, that one of the true beauties of cruising along the reef in silence is the peacefulness of it.

After all, there is just way too much "communicating" going on in this world at times!

Rob Davie

When asked by non-divers, why I love diving so much, one of the issues I always mention is "silence". I'd like to keep it that way....I'm already annoyed with all the beeping computers and rattles (look, there's a fish)...

And I def don't have any problems sharing the experience with my buddies through basic handsigns and/or body language :wink:

I can't wait for those new waterproof cell phones......

There isn't enough distraction from the computers beeping everywhere.

Sorry... two pet peeves of mine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom